Thread: Two IP addresses one cable modem

Two IP addresses one cable modem

OK, I bought a second IP address from @home cable for my other computer. I am interested in using a wireless networking kit. Is this possible? And where do I start?
    Last edited by ck42866; 09-29-2001 at 11:42 AM.

You know that you don't need a second IP to network these machines together right?

Wireless networking is avaliable for home use now and can be bought at Best Buy even. I've never used it, but I'm sure it gets configured as a regular LAN. If you're not sure how to do that they put some pretty idiot proof instructions in these bad boys nowadays. If you need a walkthrought let me know as I've set up a few @home networks before.

i've already ordered the second address. I heard that it can be done without having this but I had trouble the last time I tried to tackle this project.

SO now I have the 2 addresses and 1 modem. I really need to figure out how to go about doing this. I want to try a wireless networking kit because I am moving soon and dont want to drill holes or go under my house to get the cables and the hub lined up.

I may be wrong on this, but if you have 2 IP's already all you need is a hub. Set the computers up as if they were directly connected to the wall and it should work.

I may be wrong on this, but if you have 2 IP's already all you need is a hub. Set the computers up as if they were directly connected to the wall and it should work.
    no this will not work with @home. i had this setup with a switch and the scond machine would not connect to the internet till i got a second ip number.

Your best bet with this is to get a router. (firewall protection, easy to setup, and pays its self off)

Wireless router

Price i found

now i know this price might seem a little high but thats what you get for wanting wireless since its still new technology. if you think about it. you can get rid of the second ip address. The router will pay itself off.

Now that the first one that i found theres cheaper ones out there im sure. But im telling you wireless cards are not cheap either there like 40 bucks a pop

look around for prices,

check here for awsome deals

the old networks that use cat 5 are a lot cheaper. might want to look in to that if you can use it.

JaYsin

But he has 2 IP's already from @home. He paid for 2.

ck42866, If you are moving soon, jsut run the cat5 down the hallway.. not pretty.. but at the same time obviously not permenant.. and when you move.. then you can play with the drill and what not

But he has 2 IP's already from @home. He paid for 2.
    so what? he can cancel the second one. hes paying a flat fee of $6.95 per a month for that second ip address that can be cancelled anytime. getting a router would and is the smartest thing to do.

JaYsin

OK, thanks for the info. I went out and bought a wirless router and after hours of playing, I got it working.

Now, about that second IP address. Is it safe to say that I am not using that address now? I mean, I don't remember adding it anywhere but I did name the other machine the name @home said to name it. But later renamed it while troubleshooting some problems.

How would I know if I am using a second IP address? I know THAT question may seem a bit dull like how do I install RAM? But I am too new to networking to make any rational determinations right now.

By the way, wireless is EXPENSIVE!

Thanks again

which router did you get?

most routers you do not need the second ip address. call up @home and say you want to cancel the account.

Heres an explanantion on how the router works using NAT and why you don't need the second ip address.

JaYsin

I've got 2 IP addresses from @Home and share the cable modem with a hub. There are some instances where having two IP addresses is preferable. There are a few games that act funny if both computers are sharing a single IP address and are trying to access the same game server at the same time. Also, if you plan on running a server that is accessible from the internet, each computer really should have it's own IP address.

For most home users, getting a router to share a single IP address is the way to go. On most routers, up to 255 computers can share a single IP address using NAT. Plus many have built-in firewalls for additional security. And of course you don't have to pay for extra IP addresses. This is what I set up for my parents and it works great.

On my Netgear RT314 router, NAT is optional. By default it is on. If you turn it off, it basically acts as a 5-port switch. Then you'll have to purchase an IP address for each computer. However, who would want to pay extra for a router only to use it as a switch?

If you have win9x/me, try running "winipcfg" on each computer to see what their IP address is. For winNT/2000, the command is "ipconfig". If they're all in the 192.168.0.xxx range, then they're sharing a single IP. You can then cancel that second IP address and use the money to buy yourself a few extra beers each month .

OK, the subnet address is different. So I don't know if that is indicative of anything. I bought the D-link wireless kit.

Also, if you plan on running a server that is accessible from the internet, each computer really should have it's own IP address.
    not really. i have a server set up with a router with no problems

JaYsin