Thread: What is the most stable version of windows for Gaming, Photoshop, etc

What is the most stable version of windows for Gaming, Photoshop, etc

I am trying to figure out if there is a more stable version of windows b/c i am about to start using Adobe Premiere to edit video for a class. I will also be playing games and using Photoshop.
    I plan to max out my RAM at 768mb (i am currently at 512mb). I am using the first edition of Win98.
    Thanx

For Photoshop and Premier, definetly Windows 2000 because it has much better memory management. However, Win2k isn't the idea OS for gaming because ot its compatibility....

Well, you could always set up a dual boot system with your games and goofy stuff on 98, and your business class software on 2000. That's what I do and it works fantastic. 2000 is stable as ever, and I can still mess around and do some weird tweaking without fear of pooching the whole system.

is that dual boot thing hard to do?? b/c that would be perfect for me......if its simple enough

I would say Win98se.

In my opinion and accoriding to my experiences thats the most stable OS.

It only gets a little complicated if you have no way of backing up your data, or you don't want to reinstall everything. I feel starting fresh is the best method other than taking your existing setup and splitting up your harddrive (I'm assuming you have a decent sized one) into partitions with a program like Partition Magic. I recommend starting out fresh and using Fdisk to create the partitions you will be using.

Everyone has their own preference at how they go about arranging them, but here's what I did:
    I took a 30GB drive and split it into 3 partitions. 8GB goes to win98 SE and 8GB goes to 2000. The rest is for raw data, like saved files and MP3's and videos. I wanted to keep the OS partitions at 8GB or under so that the clusters would be smaller and I would have less waste. (Don't know if that goes for 2000 because I use NTFS) 98SE is in my first partion, and that's the first thing I installed too, so that I knew that Win2K's bootloader would see it when I put that on. The middle partition is for the data, and the last one contains 2000. I originally had a 4th one to hold 98's swap file because I thought it would boost performance, but it didn't really make a difference.

The first 2 partitions use the FAT32 file system, and 2000 uses NTFS. There's really no point in making it FAT32 because I was storing back ups of my data in the second partition and didn't need to get into 2000 from 98. (98 cannot view NTFS partitions) Also you get added performance, stability, and security using NTFS, so just do it!!

As far as software goes, I have all the essentials installed on each one (winamp, quicktime, acrobat reader, EZ CD creator, antivirus, and chat proggies). I'm behind a proxy server, so a firewall program is relatively ineffective, but you definitely want to install yours on each OS if you are on a standalone PC. Other than that, games and audio editing software go on 98, and all the business software goes on 2000. I did however install Office 2000 Pro on each one, but only Word and Outlook on windows 98. And so I would have something other than IE to view pictures in 98, I also included Microsoft Photo Editor (located on the Office CD)

Hope all that helps.

I would say Win98se.

In my opinion and accoriding to my experiences thats the most stable OS.
    If you think Win98se is stable, you really should consider running Windows 2000. Not only is it much more stable, it runs much faster too...

But for gaming its....well crappy I stick to Win98SE for now. ALtho I will definitely agree with NDC that Win2k is WAAAAAAAAAAY more stable.
    "Force against force. That is war. Only brute strength ensures victory, and with vistory, comes survival."

well i am am currently backing up all the stuff i don't have on retail CD (photoshop.....shhhh don't tell adobe ). After i am done backing up my stuff to cd-r i will just format that bad boy and reinstall Win98 first edition and then upgrade it to 98se. I will probly get this done by sunday (the thought of formating my hd scares the **** out of me!!) what can i say..i am a packrat Then save the $$$ for win2k and get that dual boot thing going on.

well i am am currently backing up all the stuff i don't have on retail CD (photoshop.....shhhh don't tell adobe ). After i am done backing up my stuff to cd-r i will just format that bad boy and reinstall Win98 first edition and then upgrade it to 98se.
    Well, you do know that simply backing up the Photoshop folder and share folders in Programs will not enable you to run Photoshop after you reinstall Windows and restore the Photoshop files, right? You will need the installation CDROM since some Windows applications install system and DLL files in the Windows root directory and sub-directories...

BTW - I won't tell Adobe!

well sh*t, is there a way of tracking down all those other files and coping them to and them "transplanting" them into the new install of windows?? its probly not possible but i don't wanna have to looking for another authorization code!!

Please do not use profanity in the forums!
    Last edited by NDC; 09-27-2001 at 09:10 PM.

I run Half-Life in windows 2000 without any problems. tho its a tad hard to get the Video card working right with it ut once its setup. ure done. and since you dont really have to ever reinstall windows due to crashing all the time its worth it

-voogru

CRX_SOON: No chance. Your only option is to burn the whole drive onto CD-R. Remember that there will be references to the Photoshop dlls, exes, ocxs etc. in the registry.