Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hackers face life imprisonment

Hackers face life imprisonment

Good - our underutilized prison system needs more inmates...
    ...hope this helps

PLANE bs

hackerz... come on... listen... I run servers at work and if it wasn't for a few hackerz making administration spit out bucks I wouldn't have a job as a security advisor.
    I think is bs to even coment things like that. Jail are for criminals, a crime should involved something more then a little invasion of privasy. Man, even rapist and killers dont even get threaths like that!!!!!
    I mean there are exceptions to every rule....

Now we got people who for the most part probably have little knowledge of what hacking is except it is bad making laws on this. Bad idea. If it weren't for hackers software would be really insecure, and many persons would be bored and/or out of a job. I agree they should be fined for damages done but life imprisonment. It isn't murder! But then again if programmers just feel too lazy this law could make lives easier.

I don't think we have any reason to worry about this Act being put through.

It seems highly unlikely that the 'educated' minds will go through with this.

Although many may or may not know what a 'hacker' is and what they do. I do think they will understand that this would be way overboard.

To treat a hacker, who does nothing more than to enter/view/manipulate unauthorized data like a terrorist who has the blood of hundreds or thousands on his hands is a little far fetched.

well they need to get rid of all the small time hackers too ya know :o not fun for newbies who wonder why all their stuff is messed up or pc acting insane on them

Wow - they let rapists back into society and yet they want to imprison hackers for life... maybe those 'educated' minds should take a look at their priorities

a lot of hackers are doing stuff for their own fun etc etc

instead of being put in jail or fined, maybe they should be given an offer.. work for the government

Wait a second......the Government is cracking down on people (hackers) who are doing dishonest acts and sticking their noses where they don't belong?!? Talking about hipocrites!!!!!!! Hackers do more good than bad (ex: create jobs in security). It's crackers that do malicious acts and do damage. Those should be the ones targeted. I think this is the overall agreement right?

I like KennyPolo's idea. If the government were to recruit hackers when they catch them in an act, then why not utilize they're knowledge and learn from them. Such things were happening at Defcon 9, the FBI is always there, but at the latest one, they actually interacted with the hackers and tried to learn from them. One of the FBI Agents said "If you're not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about."

Now this is a semi-sensitive topic to discuss. I hack my systems all the time to make sure their secure, as do others I'm sure! I agree that if it weren't for most hackers (those who infiltrate systems, and/or find weaknesses in software/hardware), most of our internet security protocol wouldn't be as strong. There are also those hackers that use their abilities for the good of the majority, those that are just messing around and have no real purpose for what they're doing, and those who are bound and determined to make our lives on the net a living hell.
    Those who commit acts using their hacking abilities that directly or indirectly put the lives of people in jeopardy should be enforced stricter discipline. Whether that's imprisonment or banishment from the use of a computer and the internet (the movie Hackers comes to mind), is for the majority to decide.
    I don't believe that the death penalty should be enforced on any computer crime, nor should life imprisonment. A monetary punishment would be more fair and just than to take a life for a computer crime.
    Unfortunately, in the future the rate of computer crimes will increase (most likely, I'm just projecting), and with it increasing discipline.
    For now though, I see hackers as more of a benefit than a detriment!

-=jd=-

I don't believe this is a bad thing. You can hack your own stuff, nothing will happen. But they are mostly referring to people who hack into other people's servers and gain information. This information in turn could be used to make a profit, or be used to know how processes are handled(ie: know the security of United Airlines). There will always be hackers, and always be a need for security. But if we catch someone hacking into a computer looking at private data(illegal), they are breaking the law, and should be put in jail.

Software hacks are not too big deal, happen all the time, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

If you gain some information that could be used against someone, something, or could be sold to gain money, etc.... Then you have become a threat to whoever's computer you broke into. They just want to make sure these threats never appear.

Ashcroft

Ashcroft's neo-fascist proposals would do more damage to the American people and the Constitution than the terrorists did.

im against hacking.. hacking yourself is also totally different from hacking others

theres a BIG difference.. i think only NSA should be able to do something like this for sole purposes dealing with criminals etc

Ok, this is a bunch of BS. I honestly think that non-damaging hacking isn't bad enough to go to jail. If you don't cause any damage, in any shape or form, why throw you to jail, where you will get a** raped by one of the inmates? I myself have done what people call "hacking". I got into my sk00ls security software on one of the computers at sk00l, just to download programs and not be destructive! I got caught for that, and I have no more access to any computer in the sk00l county, plus I got kicked out of my class that I was in when it happened, and also have to pay a fine of $400.00 for 5 stupid technicians to come in and spend 7.5 hours fixing one computer. How stupid is that? I could of fixed the **** thing myself in 5 mins or less. The sk00l system is being very harsh, and very cruel in their punishment for me. Not to mention that all of the teachers in the sk00l got a memorandum telling them not to let me on the computers. So, honestly I don't think non-destructive hacking should be concidered a federal crime. Yes, they should be punished, but not in that fashion.

-MikeHawk
    Xtreme Reviews

Makes you wonder why they are wasting their time with something like this when they should be focusing on the main issues.