Thread: Can I daisy chain a KVM switch

Can I daisy chain a KVM switch

I have a IO Gear MiniView SE KVM switch that I am using and want to know if I can ad another switch to one of the outputs without damaging the switch. The other switch is a Belkin Omniqube. Im getting tired of switching cables around.

fshanda

Mntsnow
    Yes you should be able to do that....I have a Reritan KVM and have it cascaded into a Cybex switch. I would think think you should be able too

I wasn't sure if the Belkin would work. The IO Gear says that it is capable but didn't want to fry the IO Gear trying to see if it would work.

MtSnow I also posted about setting up a modem to a router like in your LAN. How exactly did you setup the modem. Also who is the administrator of the connection. I would assume whichever user is controlling the routers operation. Can the internet connection be initalized by any user on the LAN. I have a Baricade smc7008BR router with no modem installation instructions. I did find som help from the 7004BRs manual. Just wanted some input from someone that has a similar setup.

fshanda

Former volunteer
    I have two switches daisy chained. Neither is Belkin, but yours should work. I have a 2 port Raritan CompuSwitch KVM and an Extron SW2 VGA switch. I have to have 2 keyboards and mice for 3 systems, but all 3 work off the same monitor. So, yes you can daisy chain switches. I did this this way because I had an extra VGA switch here and needed my third system up and running. I should say that my KVM is not one of the cheap, non-powered types. Mine cost $100 and is a powered KVM that tells both systems that they have the items constantly connected.

Dave
    www.techimo.com
    Where the Sysopters of old went.

The Belkin is powered but the IO Gear is optional but is ac adapter ready. The only problem is I cant find a spec for what the proper voltage is. Its not written on the unit and is not listed on there site. I havent had any problems with it detecting the proper hardware so far. I will give it a try.

Thanks,
    fshanda

Former volunteer
    I may have mis-spoke when I said it was powered. It sends signals to the systems that a K and M are connected, yet I do not use the AC adapter option on my KVM or VGA switch. I am not sure what it is needed for...

Dave
    www.techimo.com
    Where the Sysopters of old went.

Mntsnow
    well to setup the router for the "backup" modem all you do is change via the webbrowser interface is the "Wan" type to "dial-up Network" and then click on the Configure where you will put in the info needed for that type of connection.

User Name Password ect

Thanks MtSnow. I will feel a little easier when I try to set this thing up. I just wasn't sure how I was to configure the modem.

fshanda