Thread: Brand of HDD

Brand of HDD

Hi,
    I would buy a new HDD tomorrow, and i would buy a 40Gb, 7200rpm, ATA100, 2M, I wanna have a HDD which is silent.Other factors are not important to me.
    Which brand would u suggest?IBM?Quantum Fire Ball Plus? Maxtor? Western Digital?
    By the way , i wanna know is it really necessary to have a HDD cooler?
    Regards.
    Simon

At 7200rpm a HD cooler is up to you. Above that (10k+ rpm), you really should get one. Of course if you have several 7200rpm HDs stacked in a tower system (or you're OC'ing like a mad man), the extra cooling might be needed.

As far as noise, my WDs are not noticeable, of couse the loudest things on my comp are the case fans. So I cannot swear the WDs are whisper silent or anything like that.

Also, 1 post is plenty.

Banti

[This message has been edited by Banti (edited 06-19-2001).]

Middle Age Member
    I have to recommend IBM -not necessarily for noise, but for performance and reliability.

I've check the price:
    Western Digital:845 HKD
    FIREBALLPLUS AS 40G :920 HKD
    Maxtor:980 HKD
    IBM:1000 HKD
    So, which one is most worth to buy?

I have all W/D's {8 g up to 15 g have only one installed} But if I was buying a new ata 100, I go with cmonster's IBM's.. my 0.2 worth

I personally think IBM's are quieter than Maxtors and WD, adn more reliable seems to be the general opinion. I usually buy them, even if they are a few bucks more.
    dragonB

Former volunteer
    Depends on the model and the specs, but the IBM drives are generally quieter and faster. Across the board, IBM drives are more reliable. WD drives are my second choice as they are made by IBM (or are related in their manufacturing at least).

Dave

I have a Western Digital hard drive and when i boot up, it sounds like a jet taken off, but once you get used to it, its not that bad.The head movement(clicking sound) isn't very noticeble at all.Post a reply on what you get and any info on it.

I recently bought an IBM 60GXP, a 7200rpm drive. It's fast and quiet, and I really like it. This is my second IBM drive and I would highlt recommend them. However, I can't hear the drive over the powerpack fan, 2 case fans, CPU fan, and video card fan.

I recently bought an IBM 60GXP, a 7200rpm drive. It's fast and quiet, and I really like it. This is my second IBM drive and I would highlt recommend them. However, I can't hear the drive over the powerpack fan, 2 case fans, CPU fan, and video card fan.