Thread: Copy Drive to New drive

Copy Drive to New drive

Hi All,
    What is the best way to transfer all of the files from 2GB drive running NT to a 30GB drive? Should I reformat the 30 and make it a slave to the 2GB drive to copy the files?
    If I do that will I be able to boot from it when I change it back to the master?

Mntsnow
    Most drives now come with a utility disk that has a "cloning" utility to allow you to copy over your data and then change posistions of the drives and allow you to now boot from the new larger drive.

What brand of HD are you using?

Ultimate Member
    you want to do this the easyest way posable get a program called Drive2Drive
    it beats all the others hands down
    you can get a eval copy from www.downloads.com
    or www.zdnet.com

Just a guess here.. never done this before..

After transfering all the data from 2GB drive to 30GB drive, you'll probably need to tell the MBR (Master Boot Record) to now boot from the 30GB drive. Not exactly sure how you'd do that.. maby someone else has a better sudgestion..

Shadal

You could just set the 2gig as master, set the 30gig as slave, boot, if it boots, copy all your files from the 2 gig to the 30gig and send me the 2 gig(just kidding), if it doesn't boot, pop in a disk that has FDISK on it and at the prompt type: fdisk/mbr, what this does is erase your master boot record and rewrites it. When it boots, COPY your files to the 30 gig and leave the 2 gig in or when you COPIED(not moved) your files, just pop out your 2 giger and now you have a back up!(Beats using CD-RWs to backup with doesn't it!)

"Mntsnow"
    The brand of drive is a Seagate Barracuda AtA II Model ST330630A
    30GB, The smaller drive is an IBM Deskstar? Both drives have been partitioned. I made my Seagate the slave and after installing it I now have C:, D:, F:, & G: H: (Zip), I: CD-Rom.
    This is Ok gives me lots of room.

"Scotter"
    I did try your Drive2Drive but it will not work with NT.

"OC Guy"
    I have a question about using fdisk, on my system C: is formatted as FAT, D,F & G are formatted as NTFS will fdisk still work under these conditions?

Hey will the prog work if there r 2 partitions on the source drive? I am gonna get myself a new hd soon and I've been scratching my head on how to transfer all the data to the new hd.

btw, I had my old 13gig partitioned into 2 parts, 1st part is only 2gig and I used it for windows only. 2nd part is 11gig for all the data, programs, mp3, blah blah.

Well I guess I can just reinstall windows to the new hd, then transfer the data from the 2nd partition to it, but I don't wanna reinstall any programs at all - it's a pain in the ****, what a time killer it is.

I have always thought that if you re-install your Windows OS that you will need to re-install the applications because of the DLL's and all the files that are linked to the OS. Am I wrong?