Thread: I want to hear your opinion on windows 2000 or ME.

I want to hear your opinion on windows 2000 or ME.

I am going to format my hard drive and I may change my operating system to 2000 Prof, or I may stay with windows 98.
    I want to hear your opinions first. The people I have talked to say it sucks, but others say it rocks.

Mntsnow
    Truthfully it depends on what you want the system to accomplish...In my house I mainly run 2K (file serving/webhosting/email hosting ect) with my "main play box" running win98 for gaming.

The wife and kids run WinME and they love it. Been very stable for them.

Both of these OS's have had their fair share of issues but that was to be expected when they first rolled out but now that they have had Service packs pushed out they have become very good OS's for the general public IMHO

Yeah, as Mntsnow said, it depends what you are doing. You can still do gaming on Win2k, just that the game might not work or might require a patch and/or fix.

Check this out to see if your games (if you play any) work in Win2k: http://www.ntcompatible.com/0.shtml

Warthog

Win ME works for my games after I did a custom install, there were some conflicts in the full install. And I had to use all the patches I could find to get it there. Strip it down to bare bone! Then experiment.

Yeah, WinME will work with all games.

I would like Win2k because it is MUCH, MUCH MUCH more RAM efficient. I have 384mb PC133 RAM that is hardly used at all. There is about no difference betweent that and 128mb.

Warthog

socalgal
    And this thread belongs in the Apps & OS forum.

I ABAOLUTELY love my Win2K !!!I was a beta3 tester of it and fell in love with the security,stability and efficiency of it. As far as gaming, I havent found one game that I couldnt play. Yes,it might have taken a patch or two but that was well worth it in the end. By all means, give it a fair shake before you decide that its not for you. I say this because it has a slightly longer learning curve as opposed to 98 or milennium since its really intended as a business OS. Hope I dont seem to biased... ...steve