Thread: TCP/IP error 738

Question TCP/IP error 738

TCP/IP error 738

mmhh i kept getting that error everytime i try to connect to my isp under windows 2000, but i fix it when i unclick "Negotiate Multi-Link for Single Link Connections" or manually put an ip address.

whats with that? i clicked back the Negotiate MUlti-Link option and was able to connect back again without putting in an ip address!

i dunno much about networking and stuff so haha, i'm ignorant at this.

socalgal

Smile

Hi burnup

Here's what I found at MSKB

Error Message 738: The Server Did Not Assign an Address

---------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

---------------------------------------------
    IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key" Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

SYMPTOMS
    When you use a dial-up connection to connect to your Internet service provider (ISP), you may receive the following error message:

Check networking protocol connections...

TCP/IP CP reported CP Error 738: The server did not assign an address.

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if the Negotiate multi-link for single link connection option is enabled for the dial-up connection.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.

Right-click the connection, and then click Properties.

Click the Networking tab.

In the Type of dial-up server I am calling box, click PPP: Windows 95/98/NT/2000, Internet.

Click Settings.

Click to clear the Negotiate multi-link for single link connections check box.

Click OK, and then click OK.

STATUS
    This issue occurs because the client and server configurations are not compatible.

MORE INFORMATION

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe.

Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

The Negotiate multi-link for single link connections option is enabled by default in Windows 2000. You can also modify the registry to disable this option:

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\RASMAN\PPP

On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value Name: DontNegotiateMultilinkOnSingleLinks
    Data Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1
    Quit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer.

For additional information about multilink, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q235610 Overview of Multilink and Bandwidth Allocation Protocol (BAP)

Smile

thanks for help! yup that work, but also putting an ip did work too!
    thanks a lot man appreciate ur time

socalgal

Smile

You're welcome

This belongs in Tech Support. Moving there now.

[This message has been edited by socalgal (edited 08-04-2000).]