Thread: Need quick help with a linksys router BEFSR41

Need quick help with a linksys router BEFSR41

Hi,
    I need a little help that for anyone who's delt with a network will probably find simple to answer. So i pose my question hoping you knowledgables out there can help.
    Alright, the whole setup contains a linksys etherfast/dsl router (model BEFSR41)with 4 ports, 3 computers hooked up right now, and one more that i'm having problems hooking up to it. The 3 original computers hooked up fine, but i didn't hook them up so i missed out one what i'm suppose to do. This 4th computer that i want to add works fine on other networks such as a college campus but I can't connect it here. I've been told that some how i'm suppose to register it thru the router so it knows that the 4th is allowed to access it, but i don't know how. In the end it's connected to a cable modem. I've tried resting it. The only thing i can think of at this point besides the having to register it is that it doesn't have the same network name. It's folder under the network would be SS while all the others are MSHOME or something like that. That's all i know.
    So, if you guys can help me out I'd be in debt to you since this is pretty important to me.
    Thank you much,
    PG

I tried scolling through the previous posts to see if there were any like this, there was one, but i didn't understand the terms too much. Sorry to repeat this if it was asked earlier.

Well you've come to the right place.

Firstly, you'll need to find out if the router has DHCP enabled and if so, you'll need to set your 4th machine to automatically gey an IP address. Thats where I would start first.

Michael

Ultimate Member
    if you go to www.linksys.com
    they have a complete help file set up with pictures for that router very easy to fallow
    and understand should get ya up and running in no time

Thanks guys, i'll try it out.

whenever i install another computer on my router ( i have the same) to use the internet the first time i have to log on to the router. i.e in internet explorer type 192.168.1.1 then go to the status page. click okay then restart. see if that works

Jason