Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can I put a splitter inline with my Cable Modem cable?

In my area, basic cable service is $13. @Home offers a $10 per month rebate if you already have cable service installed. So, I get cable for $3 and all the problems are theirs. Just a suggestion.

Almost forgot--the newer cable modems come with diagnostics accessable on the intranet on port 80. For a Surfboard modem, try 192.168.100.1. Be sure to disable any proxy settings in your browser.

Dovaka, how do you bind your bandwidth together? What kind of layout, hardware, and O/S? Do you have to pay for an additional connection for each modem?

I ask because my provider is capping my upstream at 128K, and I've been pondering ways to improve that.

Thanks!

i have a quad port nic from adaptec each modem goes into this card which is in a abit vp6 running dual 933 pentium flip chips with 768 megs of ecc p133 ram and windows 2k server which has a program called nic express from ipmetrics.com that balances the traffic over all for connections now the reason i have this as i explained is so i can run a game server for my lanparty group and have alot of people on it at once if im downloading something it doesnt really do alot for me but if i have multible downloads going on at once then it is really good

also i have seen peoples apartments where i have physically traced the wire route and have seen one run go thru 5, 6, sometimes 10 splitters before it gets terminated to the main box a perfect example was when i went to a tech school doing electrical wiring and we wired the entire building for network and cable tv when we did this every 10 or so classrooms would get a singal drop from the main box it would them go into a room get split and onto the next the last room was the only one that didnt have a splitter in it and every one os those connections still work fine today

i also dont seem to be the only one that has gone thru more than one splitter and not had a problem

Dovaka,
    I went to the 3demons web site. That's quite a setup!

I'm still curious if you are paying for 4 cable accounts, OR one account with 4 IP addresses, OR just 1 account?

And, you might not know this if you are running Win2K Servers... I have a Linux server setup as a router, with two nics, one to a switch for the internal LAN and one to the cable modem. Can I put a 3rd nic in my server, connect it to the new cable modem, run some load balancing software and away I go? That would be great.

im sorry i for got to mention that im paying $140 a month i own 2 of the modems $60 a month and i lease 2 for $80 a month each one gets its own ip but the primary cable modem is my main ip
    you could do it in a linux box but there isnt alot of software that does it very well this is the best ive found so far but it only works in a NT/2K enviorment and it works alot better in 2k server then pro

when you said it was a impressive setup i assume that you stopped by the lan page it is pretty sick but he had 150 people at the last event so it needs to be also if you get a chance go into the forum under the hardware Eclypse[3D] just updated his home setup which is pretty sweet hes got it all listed in there