Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I put a splitter inline with my Cable Modem cable?

Can I put a splitter inline with my Cable Modem cable?

I want to put a splitter inline with my cable modem cable, is that ok to do? Thanks.

Sure, as long as you have a strong signal. I'm considering doing the same, I miss several programs I like to watch because I can't get away from this thing!

Not enough info here to work with so my answer will be very general too...

Yes you can split that cable line...perhaps to another TV

I was just wondering if putting a splitter inline of my cable line would cause any bandwidth degradation. Thanks.

right now i have going into my apartment one main line that goes into a 3 way splitter one side goes to 5 way splitter that has my 4 cable modems on it and the other goes to a 4 way splitter that has 2 digital cable boxes and a digital phone box on them and i have had no experience with bandwidth problems of anykind if you just want to put one splitter so you can have an extra tv that will be fine if you live in the sticks and have a crappy signal then you can get a amplified splitter and put 100's of device's on it

[This message has been edited by Dovaka (edited 03-26-2001).]

Thanks Dovaka!

Dovaka...
    Whats the reason for the four modems?

I once ran my cable modem as such:

(wall jack)
    |
    2 foot cable
    |
    (splitter)----> (TV)
    |
    25 foot cable
    |
    (splitter)----> (no device)
    |
    25 foot cable
    |
    (splitter)----> (no device)
    |
    25 foot cable
    |
    (cable modem)

So thats... 3 splitters and just over 75 feet of cable. No problems what so ever.

[This message has been edited by jamis (edited 03-26-2001).]

GO FOR IT!

but you might need a Filter for your TV. I know our cable company requires them so that the TV won't be fuzzy, but it's completely possible.

i have cable modems bound together for more bandwidth mainly just uploading since at&t caps me at 300k per modem this way i can have 32 people playing in my game server im one of the staff members of a very large lanparty www.3demons.com so me and most of the other staff members have multible cable modems so that we can run our servers

Can i get one of these filters online anywhere?

I wouldn't even buy a filter. I would just call up the cable company and tell them what I want. Bandwidth, signal strenth, max dB, and signal/noise all compeat with each other, and are the provider's problem, not yours. They will do test's and figure out what size filter is correct for your line. Splitters are no longer illegal for TV's, and in some cases multiple computers are allowed on one modem (rarely). No technician has ever cared enough to inquire about my 3 computers on a switch.

I hate to just jump in here but I want to make sure I have this right. Are you guys saying that I can take the cable that's running to my TV, put in a splitter and then run it to my computer and get the high-speed internet access? This sounds too good to be true!

Hi everyone. I'd just like to clear up the facts and myths about adding devices to exsisting cable lines. I do broadband communications for a living so I might be able to shed some light.
    The answer to the first question about adding a cable splitter and running one drop to the TV, the other to the cable modem, YES, of course. And depending on signal strength in dB, you can also add more. Just remember that each leg from a splitter output lowers your input signal strength by 3dB. Depending on where you are in relevance to the feeder node (on the pole which supplies the whole street/neighborhood) most homes are tuned in to have between +10dB to -6db, with a signal strenth of 0dB being ideal. A cable modem will only lock up (block sync) and communicate if it gets a signal above -12dB, so use your splitters sparingly! The best thing to do is add a 4 or 5 way splitter right at the feeder as it enters the house. That way each leg is its own home run and each output will only lose 3dB from the original signal. As far as the 4 cable modems guy... Are you for real?? Ever hear of a hub?? And the guy that says you can amplify your signal and add as many devices as you want? Did you just make that up? LOL Amplifiers also amplify line noise, and a cable modem will not block sync and communicate with ANY noise at all. If you get away with running a 2-way splitter off a 2-way splitter to a cable modem, good for you. You got lucky with good signal levels at your location. You will never know your signal levels in dB without an SLM - Signal Level Meter, but it definately doesn't hurt to win by trial and error. If the modem doesn't lock up (work) with the splitter in place, chances are your signal levels are already too low to begin with and the extra 3dB from the splitter kills it. If you get that unlucky, I would put in a trouble call with your local cable company and tell them that your area has a signal degradation problem. They will send a tech out and replace the tap on the pole with one of a lower value (the value is in the amount of dB it blocks). Too much signal dB is no good either. Hope that helped. Later daze.

Hey Cuzbo, thanks for clearing that up, ahhaa, it was getting way off base. I called my @home cable company provider and they show that I DO NOT have the cable TV subscription with my @Home cable modem. This I knew all along. But the other day I put a splitter in, where it comes in to my building, and voila I get the first 10 channels of cable but as I get higher in the channels, above 10, they get VERY fuzzy, but I can barely see them in there, with half way decent sound. So my question is, if I get a 50 MHZ high pass filter, could I possibly elimnate all that fuzziness and have clear channels? Thanks.