Thread: Internet Acess with router & 2 computers

Internet Acess with router & 2 computers

i have my house networked and i can play lan games fine. my network communicates and i can transfer files. but here is the problem; i cant get onto the internet (i am online at school right now)

when i go into IE to configure my router/4 port hub (linksys) when i type in the ip of the router nothing comes up; the ip for the router is 192.168.1.1

my ip address on both computers is something like 169.154.xx.xxx

the guide for the router says that for the computers to communicate with the router their ips have to be 192.168.xx.xxx

when i go to winipcfg and then to my ethernet adapter and i try to release all, it doesnt work, it freezes for like 45 secs and then unfreezes and lets me exit - that is it!

i spent an hour on hold with linksys and they said that the router was defective but my network is fine it is just getting out to the internet. my isp is road runner and i am not paying for the second ip, that is why i got the router

i have spent 3 hours trying to solve this already and i am sorta running out of options; will a reformat do the trick?

what about removing my ethernet adapter and then reinstalling it and all the protocals?

when i disconnect my computer from the router and plug it directly into my cable modem and restart it still doesnt let me onto the internet

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

thanks all
    HP

test your IP ... " Ping" your system to see if you are having problems. Page 60 something in your LINKSYS book. GOOD LUCK ! Hope this helps.

A reformat will probably not solve anything. The problem is the DHCP server on the router is not working. The only thing short of taking the router back that I can think of is try and give yourself static IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.2-254
    Try this and let us know if that solved it or if we need to do some more thinking.

[EFS]HarryPotter: You need to reset the router and reboot your computer.

I have the same network setup as you do...2 pc's, router, file and printer sharing, and cable with only one IP. The difference is when I disconnect from the router and hook straight into the cable modem, I get the internet. Have you tried unplugging everything for about 5 minutes, then plug the cable modem in and connect with your primary PC to see if you can get to the net. If you get the net, plug in the router and let it configure itself. Then hookup the PC's. My Roadrunner provides dynamic addressing and when I hooked into the router, it took care of itself...I did nothing, and I was online.

Now, if you don't get online after the cable modem is replugged, you might try to reload the cable software, or better yet, see if cable will help you reinstall(tell them you're setting up a new PC). Then, at least you'll know you have online capabilities. Could be that your modem is fried or the addressing is screwed up. Roadrunner has been pretty helpful in my area, so they may be able to get you straight. The router could be giving you trouble, but if you bypass the router and can't get online, then there's problems elsewhere more than likely. These guys around here will help you...they've provided some pretty good info.

Check back and let us know how it's going. I'm gonna go home this evening and double check my install procedures.

[This message has been edited by jim.t (edited 03-02-2001).]

Does Roadrunner give you a unique PC network name to use? ie @Home sets your PC up with a Network name of C-123456. This name needs to be given to the router and then changed to something else on the PC that originally had it. Also, when you set up the network, you need to turn off all the equipent. That includes the cable modem and router as well as the PC's on the Network. Wait 10 seconds and then turn on the router, cable modem and then the PC's. This will let the router recognize each piece of the puzzle.

Let us know if any of this helps.

rsu7lth is right

make sure you put a domain name (since i have @home i type @home) if they gave you one and your host name should well for with @home is a CX number. go into the DHCP tab and have DHCP enable. Go to your network protocols and click on your TCP/IP protocols. have DHCP diabled in there click apply restart your comp. then log back into your router and click on status. you should have no zeros. hope it works

Jason

well i got a new router and i plugged everything in and it worked fine for a little while. i need my computer to be the DMZ host so i can get online to use mirc, when i declared my computer DMZ host then my downstairs computer stopped work, it doesnt even see the computer on the netowrk something is really screwed. at least i have internet on one pc so i can get online and talk to people about the problem

i tried all of those things except for the domain name i searched on the rr home page for a while and found nothing does anyone know what it is for cox road runner?

thanks for all the help
    HP

once you have put your computer in the dmz then you need to also make sure that you turn off dhcp of the router and put in the dns numbers on your tcp/ip properties, along with your host name and domain name. be sure to check that you also have the gateway on your pc to 192.168.1.1..

remember that if you do dmz on the linksys router you must disable DHCP of the router to get it to work to perfection