Thread: Host printer windows access from LINUX

Host printer windows access from LINUX

I am trying to configure a printer HP laserjet4 that is on Lpt1 runig win98se and have acsess from my other pc runnig Mandrake LINUX 7.2. I have a home network with all pc's when runing win they all see each other but when I boot the one in question to LINUX I can't seem to see it. Even my router LINKSYS has no name for it even though it will assign an IP under DHCP. Under LINUX I have tride remote printer,samba printer and Network printer and no luck. I am not sure if I am interpriting the LINUX lingo and Windows lingo to jive together.

TCP/IP is your problem, not the Operating Systems. When connecting multi-platform LANs, you have to make sure you realize that your "glue" is the TCP/IP protocol, not any software running on either machine. TCP/IP uses a specific protocol to route print packets. NT Server and HP's JetDirect cards use a flavor of this protocol (NT simply calls it TCPIP Printing Services), but I am not sure that you are going to be able to share a printer between win9x and linux effectively using TCP/IP. You may need to add yet another partition to one of those machines and install NT, or search on the web for a software package that will provide this connectivity.