Thread: i430VX Motherboard is there a jumper for memory

Lightbulb i430VX Motherboard is there a jumper for memory

I have a i430VX motherboard that is supposed to support SDRAM up to 128 mb. (64mb per DIMM slot). I installed the 64mb DIMM but the BIOS says there is only 16mb memory. Is there a jumper changing from EDO to Synchronus. The manual does not mention it. The only thing that it claims needs to be done is JP5 must be set to 3.3v. The BIOS sign on is 10/18/96-i430VX-1003996C-00. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Once again, the Intel i430VX memory controller does not have enough memory bus address lines to drive SDRAM densities above 16 MBit per SDRAM chip. Meaning that today's 64-MByte DIMMs with eight chips on (hence having 64-MBit density) won't work at their full capacity. This is a hardware limitation, no jumpers or BIOS updates will help it.

Regards, Peter

Exclamation

Also, whatever memory you install don't install more than 64MB, your chipset can't cache more than that. Whatever program that would be in your memory past the first 64MB would take a big performance hit. Windows loads itself and other programs from the end of your memory forward, so everything would run very slow. To get an idea of what that would be like disable your L1 and/or L2 cache in your BIOS setup if it allows it.

Maybe you could call a few local computer shops and see if they have some SDRAM modules that use 16Mbit chips.

[This message has been edited by Shazam! (edited 03-23-2000).]

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

The cacheability limit of 64 MB is correct. However, this only affects the mainboard's cache. All the RAM you have will still be cached in the CPU's internal cache.

You will see your applications run slightly slower than before if you add more memory than what your applications need. Chances are that the programs are then loaded into L2-uncached RAM, while some of the fully cached RAM lies unused.

However, if you have applications that are that large, then having enough RAM for them (partially L2-uncached) is still orders of magnitude faster than not having enough at all, which would lead to massive amounts of swapping on the HDD.

Regards, Peter

Lightbulb

he's right about the 64mb cache region, its only for the external cache. the motherboard accepts the 128mb of ram in SIMM's, bnut you dont want to look for pricing of SIMMs, its scary how high those price ranges are stuck in! If you do find out of SDRAM in the densities needed, please post. I also have a 430vx and 128mb would be nice, even though if the external cache wont work for those extra 64mb!!

Lightbulb

I don't know if I had the same motherboard or not,

TE430VX

I had 128MB RAM installed on this motherboard and it worked great. I noticed no performance issues when I went from 64MB to 128 MB.

There were no motherboard jumpers to set. I did, however, have to switch from SDRAM to EDO DIMM modules. (2) 8M x 64 (64 Meg).

Again, I noticed no performance loss from switching to EDO from SDRAM. I believe this is due to the speed of the processor (200MHz).

I hope this helps. The motherboard manual plainly states that 64MB is the limit for SDRAM and 128 MB for EDO.

Lightbulb

heyal,

I have this also is yours a triton III

I've have been looking for a manual for this for soooooo long is it possible I can get a copy of this? Please?

The motherboard supposedly will support both 168pin and 72pin 2 and 1 or 2 and none or 4 and well none lol

but it wont played with it one time and wouldn't read it.

as far as the max 128 heard that would work great but did have to have certain chip layout as yal mentioned above.

oh yal know way more than I do but would still love to get a hold of manual.

do you know what the max cpu is? and if i'm not mistaken can upgrade the 512 pipeline to 1024?

thank you,
    southern belle