Thread: Is this a video card problem?

Is this a video card problem?

When I play a movie in my DVD drive the picture keeps stopping for a few seconds and then continues. I have a Creative Labs 12x DVD with Dxr2 decoder board, 128MB PC100 SD Ram, AMD k-6 III @ 427MHz, Gloria II video card with 32MB. Epox MB EP-51 MVP3E-M REV 1.0

Pardon me, but I think it's a bottleneck with the CPU?

Or maybe the DVD drive / DVD disk are not working well?

Isn't the decoder card there just because the cpu is the bottleneck
    I'm not completely familiar with dxr2 hardware decoding but does it use external program like powerdvd etc. to play the movies? If so, try another. Also, try updating drivers
    -M

It is likely caused by DMA transfers being disabled for the DVD-ROM drive. Go to device manager, find your DVD drive, then verify if DMA is selected within the properties dialog.

Win9x/Me (I assume you have this OS) defaults to PIO (non-DMA) transfer modes, thus you have to enable this setting manually. Also verify that DMA is enabled for your hard drives while your at it.

Hope this helps,
    Robert Richmond

I would also suggest closing programs that you might have running in the background using task manager or closing the programs in your taskbar. you can also check your DVDs to make sure they are clean.

i have both dxr2 and dxr3 card and i prefer my dxr2 card all the way no it dosent use power dvd with hardware decoder but it use creative dvd encore

ill go for ur dvd drive defective or dvd disk mybe ill say it dxr2 but im not usre about that one i play my dvd with hardware and software decoder without any problem
    so i really cant tell

but i know k6-2 cpu to be a real pain in the rear end

so might be ur cpu mo then anything to me
    sowwy i really hate k6-2 or k6-3 since mine was not a processor but a blue screen generator

I really doubt it is the proccessor! I got good dvd playback with my k6-2 500mhz using a Voodoo 3 2000 pci card! And my dvd drive was 4x! I had to optimize a lot but at the end, it was worth it!

It could be software related too!
    I reccommend PowerDVD and WinDVD!

Its definately not the processor. I get fullscreen smooth (no frames skipped) DVD playback on my PII 233 with the ATI Rage Fury Pro card. When I use PowerDVD (which doesn't use the ATI's DVD acceleration) it obviously skips frames, but I don't experience problems that was mentioned.

After 10 freaking months, I'm no more a Junior Member.

[This message has been edited by Mal (edited 09-01-2001).]

Hehehehe.. congratz Mal.!

Well, maybe you could try updating your drivers and software versions to the latest one... maybe it might work then? Or free up your system resources like what the other guys said. It might help.

Are you running Win2k or WinNT4.0?

I noticed that with the same hardware (VooDoo3) properly configured it skips and bloches on Win2k but not on Win98 SE because Win98 SE allows direct access to the hardware.

There's definately quality issues with DVD and Win2k. (same issue why Win2k creates more CD burn coasters than Win98SE)