Thread: CPU Temp does not drop much

CPU Temp does not drop much

I have an Asus A7V with a Duron 650@945. I am using a Vantec HS/F combo with Arcitic Silver II. When i first turn on the computer and leave it for a bit without doing anything, the temp stays at around 40c. After i get done playing Undying or Half Life
    my temp goes up to around 50c. Then when i leave if for bit more doing nothing, the temp usually does not go much lower than 47c. Should my Duron temps go down more after working hard or does this sound like a normal situation. Not that my temps are high or anything, i was just wondering.

Intimate Member
    At startup, and at idle, your case is much cooler than after using it awhile. The rise in cpu temps also generate heat inside of the case. Most ppl have problems with the core temps not coming back down after the case is heated up internally.

You may need to replace your intake and exaust fans to improve cooling inside the case...this is considering that you do already have case cooling.

Be aware that the Vantec HSF is not considered one of the better HSFs for overclocking. The cpu gets VERY hot when overclocked, much moreso that non overclocked processors. The heatsink can heat up very rapidilly and cannot give up its stored heat due to case temps, fan applied to the sink, ect. Many go to water cooling to combat cpu heat. One of the more recent HSFs to hit the market, is the Swiftech MC462A. This is a massive sink, and mounts to the mainboard, instead of the small, puny clip on types. Some of the users of the 'Swifty' are reporting temps close to water cooling.

At $80 bucks complete with fan, its expensive as compaired to some of the clip on types, but new technology is never cheap. The MC462A can be bought at CrazyPC for $55 bucks, and mount your own 80mm fan.

Be certain that your mainboard has the holes needed to mount this HSF...not all of the Athlon boards were manufactured with the necessary mounting holes next to the socket.

Your main problem may be adaquate case cooling. Try upgrading the fans to maybe 90 or 120 mm if possible. High cfm...around 35 to 40 or higher cfm may be needed. You can add fans to the sides and top as well. Until you can get the heat out of the case, you will not see too much of an improvement in cpu temps.

What fan you got on your Vantec ? I just ordered one with Delta 38 CFM 7000 RPM fan, suppose to be one of the best in the market (and the loudest, too). In case you got the default fan, I believe 20 CFM 5000 RPM, it won't be able to cool your CPU properly

Best Regards ...

It is not getting too hot, but it should get a lot cooler than that when cpu use is low, like under 30C. If you can find your cpu use it would be interesting to see if it gets close to 0 when nothing is going on, or if some application is running secretly. There is a program called taskinfo 2000 that does a good job of that for win 95/98, and of course win 2000 task manager does it.

Case fans will help a lot too, as will a fan pointed at the mobo around the cpu (mine just sits on the agp card).