Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AMD -Rest In Peace

think of it this way, k6III=pII
    and you get a cheaper price, easy to oc ^_^

Maybe you can think of it this way

PIII - Give up the last little bit of privacy you had (CPU-ID) and still get the blame for being the biggest security threat to e-commerce ( http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/p3...216772,00.html )

Make sure you are good netizen or else!!!!!

Hm. The K6-III/450 delivers performance similar to a PIII/450, but you think it
    should be sold at half the price? Why do
    you think this should be the case? Is there
    some law of nature that limits AMD to sell
    CPU at no more than $200?

AMD is having a hard time making a profit with the prices as they are, in fact they have announced that for Q1/99 they might have another loss. So clearly there's no gouging going on here.

-- Norbert

First of all, I wouldn't use a PIII right now if you gave me one. Even though Intel "said" they would turn off the Serial Number tracking feature, it has recently been proven that malicious hackers can still manipulate the SN.

AMD officials have clearly said they would not incorpaorate such a device on their CPU's. Since I am currently building a Celeron 300a/450 system, I am not interested in AMD, but....in a few years I will be looking to upgrade again and if Intel does not remove entirely the SN tracking mechanism from their CPU's, AMD will get my money.

K7 will probably be very expensive.
    K6-III may be having yield problems, keeping the price high.
    Good preview of the K7:
    www.storm3d.com/k7/
    www.storm3d.com/k7/update.html

[This message has been edited by wily (edited 03-07-99).]

[This message has been edited by wily (edited 03-07-99).]

You also have to realize is that the PIII just came out, and of course Intel priced it for this situation. Intel just loves to make AMD go D'Oh! a thousand times more often than Homer Simpson. But within a month AMD will lower their prices. Then they'll introduce something faster at this price. Then Intel will come in with something else for similar money. Then AMD will go D'Oh!

And you thought infinite loops only occured in computer programs.

Personally, I agree with AMD's pricing. The AMD K6-2's and 3's produce comparable performance with 3DNow! support, even without it they outperform Intel chips in Windows applications, why should they continue to be forced to sell for less? Another big thing is that when I go to various stores that sell computers, I see computers with P-II's, K6-2's, occasionally even Cyrixes... this wasn't so a year ago. THe simple fact of not only breaking into the retail market, but outselling Intel, is a major milestone for AMD. Again, my biggest concern is 3DNow! support, which is growing by the day. When I see a driver for my TNT card with 3DNow! support is a day I will celebrate. As long as AMD's instructions gather support, and they continue to compete, there's no reason for them to limit themselves to being "budget" CPU's. They have continued to undersell themselves to get their foot in the door. It's there now. Time to stand tall.

Hey wake up doesn't anybody here understand supply and demand.The only reason AMD introduced the K6-3 close to $500 is that they can't make enough yet to meet the demand it's the same with Intel to a small degree.Does anyone remember the P100 introduced at $800.Intel was quite happy to keep it there till Cyrix came out with thier version.

Seems to me that Intel fans require a different set of rules for AMD than they do Intel. If AMD wasn't in the picture you would be paying a much higher price for you chips. AMD is fast becoming the largest pace setter for CPU's in the world. They havee the K3 450 and it is out performing the PIII 500 in benchmarks. They released it at half the price that Intel would have. AMD has increased their production and is trying to keep their QC standards up rather than shove a bunch of hastily CPUs out on the market. AMD still has the K7 to release and Intel has shot their wad so to speak and it was a dud compared to all their pre-release hype. For right now, I will stick with my AMD K62 400 clocked to 500. Intel can keep their snoop chip with Big Brother inside. I'll wait for the K7 and smoke Faster than an Intel.

Heh - don't you know?

This pathetic PIII ID some of you are talking about - it's already in all of the .25 micron CPU's Intels has ever made, excluding the P233 Tillamook.
    That means PII 333 and up - including all of the Celerons!

An Intel employee leaked this informations about a week ago, and told the press that the ID in these CPU's of course were for manufacturing and testing purposes, and that the ID was shut off before shipping.
    Hey - then this German guy makes a utility to read the ID's on the PIII without the users consent - and guess what? This works for all the others too!

LOL

[This message has been edited by Ice (edited 03-19-99).]

All you Intel lovers go right ahead and buy those wonderful PIII's. ME and my AMD will hack your info made available to the world via your PIII. In all seriousness, you are supposed to be able to disable the reporting function. But "DO YOU REALLY BELEIVE THAT?" No thanks......

JUst because K6-III doeasn't mean it should be half the price of an Intel at the same clock. The K6-III Outperforms the PIII in all but floating point. And AMD isn't making any money. It needs to sell some cpus at a higher price, and why not the K6-III since they won't be able to keep up with demand anyway.
    Plus, there is the K-7 comin out. What does Intel have in its roadmap to compete with this baby? Nothing for quite a while. Since Intel has slowed down its pace on mhz clock, I think AMD will catch them and maybe pass them. Then what will happen to Intel? Well, they'll try their best, and AMD will have to keep up w/ demand, which may be a problem. What a war it will be.

Middle Age Member
    I KNOW, I KNOW I had no idea this post would get so much attention when I posted it. Basically this venting of my frustration over not being wealthy enough to run out and buy the K6-3 (although it is not yet available at my local retailers)was not a knock against AMD.

AS A MATTER OF FACT: I have just sold my last remaining intel system (not counting that old mobo and P120 in the closet)and I gave away a 200MMX chip that I replaced with a K6-233 (believe it or not this chip smokes at Linux). AND I just bought a K6-2 380 that is happily sailing along now at 427.5 (4.5x95) - likely this chip will also be replaced by a K6-3 in the near future.

ALL together I have 2 systems running K6-233s (and they run fine at 262.5), I have one K6-2 300 system which doesn't like to overclock, and I have the afore mentioned K6-2 380 which really is a great chip.

BUT I REALLY WANT ACOUPLE OF K6-3s = wanh!

Actually people have asked me if I work for AMD.

AND touching security issues: has anyone checke to see if their Windows folder has a file called "reginfo.txt" ??

no i do not have that file.
    exactly why would you ask?
    is this microshaft's id storage file?
    any way amd k6-2 400 is running fine in my homebuilt system
    cpu $198 USD
    m/board $59.85 USD
    let's see 'em build a pII or pIII same mhz for that price!!!

wow, its now march 10, 2001. dug up this post from way back. Amazing how much prices drop from when they first come out. Now you can get a K6-3 practically for free.