Thread: The K6-2+ are out, should I one @ 500MHz, or get a Mobo and a Celeron 500

Question The K6-2+ are out, should I one @ 500MHz, or get a Mobo and a Celeron 500

My Socket7 will take the new K6-2+ 500, but based on several reviews and my Dad's computer (which is a Dell puter w/ a Celeron 500) I hear the Celeron out does the K6-2+ 500. Now I don't want any of that techno bull about FPU's and cache, I just want to know if I should buy the K6 or get the Celery and a new mobo?

I run Win98SE, Office 2000, webdesign, and play Q3, Half-Life, run SETI@Home client (and I want a workunit completed in under 25 hrs.!!)

Please help.

jadison

Ultimate Member
    all around................................

Lightbulb

get the celeron........your MB will also be better for your next upgrade too

better yet......get a celeron 366 and OC it to 500

Lightbulb

You must be reffering to the standard k6-2 500, as the k6-2+ has been scrapped for the desktop market. The k6-2+ is really a hybrid .18micron k6-3 with 128kb of full speed l2 cache.

I with onlivion, get a good slot one board, a slocket card, a good heatink/fan, and a c366. Then o/c it 550+ mhz. Then when prices drop on the higher mhz coppermines, upgrade to one.

Lightbulb

There are no K6-2+ yet (actually they were going to be called K6+). I just replaced a 300 with a k6-2 500 and it gave me a tremendous performance bump. Celerons are better for 3d graphics intensive software and K6-2 are as good or better in 2d office applications. It does look like there won't be much more in future upgrades for the socket7 stuff, but it was worth it for me. Upgrade your motherboard later, something better always comes along.

Middle Age Member

Lightbulb

You should know this, there are Windows 98SE/USB problems with the K6-2 >350mhz on VIA chipset motherboards and some other boards. Yes, the K6-2 >350mhz timing problem is back in Windows 98SE! I was just reading about this problem at the Microsoft website http://support.microsoft.com/support...&SA=ALLKB&FR=0 There is a problem with K6-2 >350mhz on certain chipsets, particularly VIA and Windows 98 SE. Win98 is okay but 98SE has a problem - this may also cause frequent BOSDs.

Go with the Intel chips.

[This message has been edited by CMonster (edited 03-13-2000).]

Lightbulb

I was offering what I beleived to be the most cost effective solution at this point in time. If you want to keep the costs down, then get a k6-2 450 AFR/AFX (2.2v) chip and overclock it. Most are making 550 with a little effort and some decent cooling.

Lightbulb

There are no insurmountable problems with the Via chipsets running >300Mhz AMD chips. Use the most current drivers. I have 3 machines with FIC VA503+ Motherboards. 2 with 400 Mhz and one with 500 Mhz- NO BSODs! No stability problems of any sort-Mr. Intel.

Middle Age Member

Lightbulb

">" greater than! as in faster than 350mhz - did you check that link? And it is only with certain USB devices - If you do not use USB then you will probably not be adversly affected - there is also a link to a patch on that site that supposedly corrects the problem.

I use Win98 and all the latest media and directx so I am not affected with regard to my USB stuff.

But like Windows95 and it's timing problem with the K6-2 run at 350mhz or faster, it may be that some programs will overwrite/or partially overwrite these patches at times causing various problems. It took me a while to figure out that was what was happening on one of my Win95 (rip) systems.

I too think that in the long run you would get the most trouble-free use and upgradeablility out of an Intel based system - this coming from a staunch AMD supporter like myself.

I have 3 K6-2 400s, a K6-2 500 (that one I really like), and an Athlon 600 (I'm still in the "Wow!" on this one).

Unless AMD quickly comes out with a socketed Athlon and there is an SMP board available for it in the next year my next system will likely be Intel.

And I am greatly looking forward to running Linux on the new 64bit Intel CPU.

[This message has been edited by CMonster (edited 03-13-2000).]

Lightbulb

thanks for the info, sorry I misread, I'm still thinkin about gettin the K6-2 500, but that Celeron seems so enticing, yet it will cost more!

Choices, choices

Lightbulb

Buy a MSI 6309 Motherboard based on the new Via 133A chipset. and then buy a Celeron 366 and overclock it to 550 and then later on you can always upgrade to the new Coppermine CPU's...

Krueger81

Question

Do they still sell those ol Celery 300A's I can't seem to find them anywhere. I here they were superb for OC'ing, u could get it up to 567MHz w/one of those. That's a major performance boost!! I need one

Lightbulb

Just get a 366 and overclock the hell out of it... get a pretested one... If want to wait another month I could sell you mine for cheap since I will be upgradng too.

Krueger81

Lightbulb

yes, I know but I was going to get a K6-2 450 or 500, not a K6-2 350.

Are there prob. w/ K6-2 450/500 and Win98SE and Via Chipsets??

BTW, RobRich, I'm not "rich", I think $60-80 for a K6-2 450/500 will do better for now, then I'll spend the 200 or so dollars on a Celery, Slot 1 mobo, heatsnk/fan, and a slocket card later on, (maybe for my birthday May31!!!)