Thread: Cmos getting deleted

Cmos getting deleted

Hi,
    I am using Gigabyte GA-&ZXR-C, with AMI v 1.24e(ver F6) on the main Bios chip and
    1.24b(ver F5) on the backup one. My Cmos gets deleted whenever I use the reset switch after the
    Bios has finished POST, including when in Dos and Win98 environments. This only happens when
    I am booting from the main chip. Could it be possible that there is something wrong with the newer
    Bios? I get a Cmos settings wrong, bad checksum error message. Or may it be because the Main
    chip gets compared to the backup one and finding differences it automatically switch's to the
    backup. I do not want to upgrade both Bios's since I want to keep an older one to fall back on.
    This doen't happen by using CTRL-ALT-Del combo or restarting properly from windows.
    I also noticed a little increse in the instability of my system after I flashed the newer bios, eg.
    Midtown Madness 2 hang's up suddenly although quite rarely. However I can't verify any such
    assumption without thorough testing, besides the 'instability' didn't show up immediately after
    upgrading, as far as I can remember.

Unless there is an enhancement in the newer BIOS that you absolutely need and can't live without, then, by all means, stick with the older one that apparently works fine for you. Why did you update in the first place?

Moved to Motherboards

SysOpt FAQ