Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 Problem

New to this but I think the problem is the Vcard or the monitor:
    New Computer
    Asus A7V E
    Processor Duron 800
    384 megs SDRAM
    NVidia GeForce2 MX400.
    Monitor: an old Viewsonic 15G

The PC sometimes starts but when I try the Test Drive 5 game that came with the GeForce it hangs.After it hangs it takes two or three attemps to get it started. The monitor show some vertical lines and when the screen is OK I have these little vertical lines in the cursor. Cursor moves but is unresponsive. Tried all color settings and all resolutions. Tried also my sons games and frezes too.
    Help please and thanks in advance
    Piru

It sounds more like a video driver or directs issue. What version driver are you using for the video card? Have you tried using a different version driver? And also, have you tried reloading DirectX? Try some of the beta versions you can download at the link below...

3D Chipsets

Another note the chip on the video card is HOT. Is this normal?
    Yes, it's normal for the GPU on the video card to get hot. How do you know how hot it is? Don't you have a heatsink and fan on the GPU?

Should I download the version 12.41 fromt he 3d chips link?
    Yes, and you may also want to download DirectX V.8.0a and see if this helps also...

[This message has been edited by NDC (edited 08-20-2001).]

Thanks NDC, sorry for the hassle of pasting quotes to the correct thread. Problem was that yesterday the Register Link was going back to the Forum List.

Anyway, on top of the GPU I do not have a fan. I repeat I do not. I have this metal grill like piece. The side of that piece is very hot and the NIC that was on Slot 1 was also getting very hot. Should I go and get a fan. I assumed that metal piece was to difuse the heat.

What brand is your GeForce 2 MX400? There are certain manufacturers that don't put a fan on the heatsink, they just have the heatsink on it... The metal grill like piece is the heatsink. Also make sure the heatsink is making a flat contact with the GPU... An yes, I think it would be a good idea to put a fan on it. The fan goes on the heatsink like this...
    http://www.penstarsys.com/Reviews/video/inno/mx400/

Anyhow, have you tried loading a different version for the video driver? And also, did you try installing DirectX 8.0a?

I bought what it looks ike a retail box, brand is PowerGene MX. Came with a manual and everything but no mention of a fan.

Witht the driver I dowloaded it to this computer and copy the zip file to the new PC but it does not load. Once unzipped I try to update driver for the Vcard but the machine asks me for the installation CD and the Driver Detail window tells me that still is the 4.13.01.1290 version. I will try it again once I have the fan and have an internet conection to the machine through Wingate or WinProxy.

Thanks CND I'll let you know
    Piru

As I mentioned above, it's possible that the brand you have doesn't come with a fan from the factory.

4.13.01.12.90 is the 12.90... Try downloading version 10.80... Certain Detonator drivers seem to work well on certain video cards and doesn't on others. Try different versions to see if it works out. If you tried several versions and the problem persists, it may not be a driver issue, it could be numerous things, Windows itself, video card, AGP port in the mainboard, etc. Unfortunatley, you'll just have to pin point the problem.

Everything is solved now. I'll write what I did so it might help somebody else although is a simple thing. Following NDC's I had to pinpoint the problem. So I started with the easiest which was the monitor. Hooked up a different monitor and I had the same problem. So, the next easier thing was the Video card itself. Hooked an old 4 mb Vcard and the machine worked perfect. So I determined that the card was bad. Exchanged for the same exact one and now is working. I think that I burned the other Vcard becasue the exchange HAS A FAN!!! on it.
    I got lucky it was the card. Because the next one would hav been the BIOS and that is something I did not want to do.
    ANyway, thanks NDC and you can close this thread now.
    Piru