Thread: Windows 3.1 crash

Windows 3.1 crash

Hi, I got a PC running Windows 3.1 from one of my students. It seems to start up ok but as soon as the Windows 3.1 logo screen comes on it disappears, leaving a dark screen.

It seems dump me in a DOS mode without the prompt, or some mode that cannot be displayed. I say this because I can type "EDIT MSCONFIG.SYS" or any other command, without seeing the prompt.

When I type the "Edit msconfig.sys" command, I see the outline of the edit window but the font has changed into little blocks.

My student doesn't remember doing anything to change the settings. Is there a file that loads after the Windows logo that I can tweak?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Alex.

Alex,
    It sounds as though there is a driver problem as win 3.1 starts to load, or a problem with an item in the start up directory.

Try selectively remming out items in the autoexec.bat file and config.sys. If memory serves me Windows 3.1 does not have an msconfig.sys file. That's Win95 and above. Check the system.ini and Win.ini files for items like load= or run= and remark them out.

If you get back into the 3.1 GUI then you can try re-enabling the items you removed to see which one was causing the problem.

Try re-installing sound and video drivers if they are available. This depends on the age of the cards.

Post again if you're still stuck and I'll scan through some of my old manuals.

Good Luck

The correct filename is just CONFIG.SYS and you can view its contents by typing

TYPE CONFIG.SYS

The same applies for the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Both files were almost always used with Win 3.1, to load HIMEM, EMM386, drivers, etc.

Can you post the contents of both files, and the listing from when you type SET at the (now invisible or hidden) prompt?

Hi, I've looked into my CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT but nothing seems to be worng thee. Windows seems to load with no problems from the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT.

I also did a safe delete to each line in my SYSTEM.INI and most of the WIN.INI file that looked like they were not need by the system.

Do know of any other files I can poke around in?

It does seem like a driver problem. I had a similar problem with Windows9x and cleared it up by uninstalling the device that caused the problem.

Can it have anything to do with my IO.SYS or MSDOS?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Alex.

Go into your autoexec.bat using sysedit!

After The Last Line Enter A New Line, WIN
    all by itself and see if this does anything to help you ! ! !

I'll Be Back

Speedo,
    I have someone with an old 486 with Win 3.1 which boots to the C:\ and then they type win at the prompt to get to the gui. How would I edit the autoexec.bat to make it boot right straight into windows 3.1?
    Thanks...Horatio

if memory serves me right, to boot right into windows just add the following line to your autoexec...

c:\windows\win.com

or whatever the windows directory is on your pc.

P.S. If that doesn't work try win.exe instead of win.com

Might be an incorrect video driver. From a dos prompt, go into the WINDOWS directory and run SETUP. You should be able to change some options from there-- change the video setting to VGA. You may be prompted for the original windows disks... the files the system is looking for may already be on the drive but you will have to do some investigaing.

Benchristian,
    Many thanks,
    Horatio..