Thread: Another Win98 Shutdown Problem

Another Win98 Shutdown Problem

I have checked through several shutdown problems but the solutions I saw and tried did not work. If I turn the PC off after about 3-5 minutes, of waiting for the Windows Shutdown screen to change to “It is now safe to turn off your computer”, which never shows up, and I restart it runs the scandisk and states that I did not shut windows down properly. Sometimes the PC just restarts even though I clicked on the shutdown button. This problem started after I downloaded the "Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package” a recommended update. How can I correct or disable this? I cannot uninstall IE 5.5. There is no uninstall available for the software I downloaded. I tried the scanreg/restore and get a failed to restore registry message.
    Sorry to say but there is no "Disable Fast Shutdown" either Checked or unchecked in the System Configuration Utility. Does that mean it has been turned off or is there a problem with Win98? There was no problem shutting down until I downloaded and installed the above update.

Sorry to say, but I did the same mistake, you just had to believe MS when they said "Patch can be applied only <u>if needed</u>". I couldn't do nothing, so I reinstalled the Windows

Best Regards ...

Yep I too faced problems when installed the Drive cache pkg on win98se. Lost the setup for usb scanner, tried for one hour to restore nothing. Luckily I keep ghost images on CDR. Restored the partition, and back on in 10 minutes. Unless, someone here has tried successfully to counter this problem, I guess your only option is to reinstall, as ND said.

Wild

lol, nothing to say on the topic at hand, but i read the topic title, and though "oh, big surprize!!"

Hallam

Well about 1.5 hours later I'm back in business and everything works so far. I always make a small partition on my hard disk a "D" drive about 500 meg and copy my Win98 directory to it makes it a little faster even on this slow 350 MHz AMD PC to reinstall windows. Again thanks everyone.

Thanks to everyone who responded and confirmed my need to reinstall WIN98SE. Hope it doesn't foul up any thing else.

Mark