Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SB Live Locks Up System

SB Live Locks Up System

Been running a new motherboard (ASUS A7A266 with a 1.2 Athlon) using the on board sound. Don't really like the software that came with it so decided to put my SB LIve Value back in. The system appears to detect everything, but when it gets to installing SB16 Emulation, after about 10 seconds the screen goes black & the PC is locked up.

Was wondering if anyone knows of any issues using the SB Lice with this board. Yes, I did disable the on board sound in the BIOS & removed all the hardware from Device Manager.

Hi TonyMan,

I would suggest checking for a BIOS update, putting the SB Live in PCI slot 3 and reserving IRQ 5 in the BIOS. You said that you disabled the onboard sound from BIOS, but is there a jumper on the motherboard to do the same? I am not sure.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

do this.........get into device manager somehow. even if in safe mode. go to where you have your creative devices. somewhere(my computer with sblive! value is not running at the moment so i have to wing this)
    under the soundblaster live properties you will see a box that says "enable lpt sharing"
    "enable LPT interrupt sharing" or something similar.
    check that box and it will detect a device. you might have to reboot. that worked for me and i hope it does for you.

SD

hi Tonyman,

I had a similar problem with my system and someone on this forum kindly pointed me here, http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm. It is an Abit FAQ, but it might help, as SB16 Emulation has problems with VIA chipsets, I believe. I found it useful and since fixed my problem. There are some detailed information on disabling SB16 Emulation which seems to have problems. I hope this helps, g'luck~!

Hojogom

[This message has been edited by hojogom (edited 07-07-2001).]

I appreciate the help, but still cannot resolve the problem.

d2 - Reserving IRQ5 for slot 3 made no difference, though I do find it interesting. I swore I read somewhere else about using slot 3 and cannot see what teh significance of that is, but have seen it recommended elsewhere. Also, there is no hardware jumper for the on board sound, all is in the BIOS. I also have the latest BIOS update installed.

S.D. - I cannot change anything in safe mode, so I cannot try your suggestion.

Hojogom - I read the stuff on this site, but it appears to be about resolving an issue when in windows, I cannot get into windows with the board in. I do not have a VIA chipset, mine is ALI, but that doesn't preclude this chipset having an issue either.

I am going to look around on Creative 7 ASUS to see if anything is there. Again, I appreciate the advice & am open to any suggestions.

I had the same problem go in safe mode and them disable the the sb16 emulation this is the way I found...

Maybe I am not explaining myself clearly. I cannot disable SB emulation because it never gets installed. Upon getting into windows, I get the window saying that SB!^ Emulation is being installed, and then my screen goes black. On the next boot, the same thing again. The issue is that it does not get installed because it locks up.

I found some info on Creative Labs about getting the device on IRQ 5 moved so the sound card can use it. I did that and still had no luck.

Have you tried to change the card to different PCI slots? In the BIOS, where it says Plug n Play OS, select NO.!

Okay. have you have any other card's in your pc if yes try boot the Pc only whit the sblive.
    try install the Windows me for me this one resolve that problem because whit win98 the sblive was alwais killing my tv card and my dxr3 ... Whit windows me this doesn't hapend.
    By the way try instal the irq routing before install the sblive best regards...

[This message has been edited by drlabel (edited 07-09-2001).]

Thanks again for everyones help.

Eagle1 - Yes I have tried other slots, same thing. I am reluctant to change the PNP OS to no. I originally had this and had all kinds of trouble with conflicting IRQ assignments. Finally got it straightened out and am afraid of creating new problems.

drlable - Sounds like a solid idea. I was hoping to resolve this without a lot of work, but believe this is a good route. I won't get to this for a day or two but will post what the results are

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the SB16 emulation only needed for old DOS apps? I just put together a new system (ABit KT7A-RAID, T-Bird 1.2, SB Live! Value, 98SE, etc.) and I didn't install the SB16 emulation. It forces your AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS to load HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE to support the emulation software and the only thing I ever thought you'd want are virus scanners and/or a path, nothing memory management... I've been running smooth now for a while and everything I use plays sound fine (Q2, UT, DVD player, RealJukebox, etc.)

You are correct. On my last system I had it disabled, actually, found a posting up here to insure it doesn't load & free up an IRQ. The problem is that when Win98 discovers the hardware it automatically tries to install the SB16 emulation. You are not provided with a point where you can cancel it. As soon as I get the message that it is trying to install it, my mouse is frozen and in about 5-10 seconds the screen goes black & that's all she wrote! Kinda frustrating, but we will see.

Tonyman,

I had this problem. From what I recall I went into safe mode and used regedit.exe to remove all traces of creative SB Live from my registry. I then deleted the drivers from my hdd (they are in the windows folder somewhere....).

When you next boot it will ask you if you want to install the drivers for the Live card. Click on cancel.

Let windows load up. Then add the card manually using "Add new hardware". Install the drivers but do not restart your computer straight away. First, go to device manager and disable the SB emulation. Then restart.

I think that should do it!!

Marcus.

My solution is simular to marcusbateman idea. I would just go into the registry

local_Machine/software/micosoft/windows/currentversion/windows/run

remove any entries for the SB16 emulation and then reboot. This will prevent windows from even trying to load the SB16 emulation drivers in the first place. Since you don't really need them anyways. I did the same thing but I just wanted my machine to boot quicker not to fix any problems. Just in case search your entire registry for the SB16 Emulation drivers and just get rid of them.

[This message has been edited by Lemon (edited 07-09-2001).]

I sort of had an issue like that before with SB Live and the need for an Intel chip. I had a AMD chip installed and the software would not install until I threw a Intel CPU in. The card did have problems being detected with PNP as well.