Thread: Missing file won't let Windows operate!!

Missing file won't let Windows operate!!

Hello,
    I was working on my company's computers yesterday when I came across 2 viruses on the computer, I found them when an antivirus utility from Norton's website detected them. Here's the message I received:
    <<<<<<
    No viruses detected in memory 2 viruses found; 8956 files scanned. Virus Check detected one or more viruses in the files it scanned.

To fix this problem:
     Consider purchasing a comprehensive anti-virus program
    to help you repair. Symantec recommends Norton Internet Security for comprehensive security and anti-virus protection.
     Or, delete the following infected files:
    The file c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart\RESULTS.XLS is infected with Laroux.DR The file c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\FILES32.VXD is infected with W32.PrettyPark
    >>>>>>

So, because I didn't have any antivirus progs, I decided to delete the files. Now , I can't run any programs w/o getting this message: "FILES32.EXE is missing or cannot be found. This file is required to access this program." I've checked on several other computers for this file, but @ no avail, I couldn't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some specs on the computer:
    Pentium 200MMX
    Win95 w/IE 5.0
    32X CDROM
    Floppy
    2GB HD

-=jd=-

Well, I followed SoCalGal's wonderful advice, and the comptuer was saved!
    But, if anyone knows some comprehensive antivirus programs I can get for free, please let me know.

Thanks

-=jd=-

Ultimate Member
    Read Robert Richmond's "Freeware Guide to Internet Security" on SysOpt's front page.

www.f-secure.com, locate fprot and you have a dos based antivirus program. (Good if you need to boot to dos to clean infected files that are in use.)
    -M

norton has a free 30 day trial on their site...as well as a free 30 day trial of alot of their software.

Paul

It might have been possible to reinsert the missing files, you may have got that advice already.
    CA have free A/Virus for personal use at antivirus.cai.com/

You mentioned that this was a company PC.
    It almost seems unusual, to find people not using something[?] these days. Hmmm...
    Regardless, our workplace uses Vet vet.com.au
    Works well. R.