Thread: Compaq Bios

Compaq Bios

Hi Everybody
    I have a compaq deskpro 4000, I need to get into the Bios on boot up but I dont know the the key sequence for this, can anyone help me with this please.

Most Compaqs display a square box in the upper right hand corner of the screen during bootup. When you see that hit the F10 key.

i'm pretty sure that a lot of compaqs use a small part of the hard drive for a software BIOS.
    go to the compaq website and download the "RomPaq" for your particular model
    it should create a bootable disk that will load up the compaq bios. otherwise you can try F9,F10,F11,or F12 I know some compaqs use those keys.

Thanks for your susgestions, I have tried various key combinations without success and I have also gone to the Compaq site and tried to download the "ROMpaq" file for my model again without success. I'm at a loss as to do next, hopefully I can eventualy download the "ROMPaq" file.

mmhh.. try ctrl + alt + escape..
    it might take a few tries.
    Let me know if that works.

Make sure the keyboard is connected properly. On the Compaqs I have worked on I had to press either the F1 or del. Hold them thru the entire POST and past the first BIOS setup screen.

Sorry I was so late in getting to back to everyone on there sugestions, I have tried all of the above without luck. Anyone got some other ideas.

Brandon,
    Compaq's put their bios on the first partition of a hard drive. When it was setup, you would use 3 or 4 floppys and install the setup bios on the first partiton of the hard drive. about 7-10 megs. If you do not have the setup up disks, then it was installed incorrectly. Do a fdisk if you can get to a dos prompt. If you see more than one primary partion and if the first partition is samll < 10 megs, then the partions is there but is installed incorrectly. This is a Compaq unique. They stopped doing it when they came out with the presario line. So if you can not get into the bios, then you need to go to there web site and download the needed disks. to install the setup, you need a blank hard drive. This is one of the reasons why I will not buy a compaq. I work on them for a living along with Dells, HP's, People PC and toshiba Laptops.

Hope this helps