Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HELP: Computer won't boot after changing CMOS battery

The basic difference between AT and ATX is:

AT has 5 and 12 volt DC output and has two output plugs that go into the mobo;

ATX has 3.5, 5, and 12 volt DC output and has a single plug to the mobo.

OOPS. That's 3.3, not 3.5

Hellmund, I wasn't grounded when I changed the battery. However, the computer was completely powered off and had not been used that day. Is it then still possible to zap the mobo ?
    And, if so, can something be done about it or should the mobo just rest in peace forever ?

CaptPete,
    If I understand correctly the main difference between AT and ATX is the lower voltages. Is ATX mainly for reducing the power-assumption by the computer or does it also have other benefits ?
    BTW, just a hint: you could also have edited your previous message to correct the error instead of replying to it.

Greetings,

Martijn

BTW: why doesn't this messageboard print my signature ?!?

Recently during my early spring cleaning, I used a pressurized air can to dust off the mother board and all the components in the case. When I restarted the system did not post, same symptoms as HDD, case fans and CD and CRW powering up but no video (screen blank) I shorted the jumper on M/B for clearing the CMOS for five seconds. Reset and reboot, this time every thing powered up and the monitor hissed for like a fraction of second but then died quickly. Next time shorted the jumper for like 30 minutes. Reset and reboot, voila there was initiall boot screen but when it started to detect memory, HDD and CD everything was garbled. I imediatelty pressed DEL key and entered the CMOS settings, loaded the setup defaults and rebooted: the system was back on and working fine.

Just wanted to share my experience on the issue.

Wild

Wild,

Thanx for sharing this experience. While it does not sound very promising at first sight, in the end you succeeded in getting this system up 'n' running again.
    That's the same as I want to achieve and I do not really care how long that road will be (the shorter the better nevertheless ;-) ). If I eventually succeed ...

Greetings,

Martijn