Thread: Win ME and System Restore????

Lightbulb Win ME and System Restore????

I'm going to upgrade to win Me and I understand the "system restore" function can cause problems.

How can I disengage that function?

munkee

Lightbulb

Why bother upgrading if your going to disable the main feature? I upgraded and had the occasion to use the restore without any problem. The main trouble is that if you do alot of downloading between restores you'll loose the most recent ones, progs, too.
    Personally I'm thinking of restoring Win98SE. At least I'll be able to shutdown normally again.
    But if you have to do it there is a link to ME tweaks that gives intsructions on removing most of the features:
    http://members.aol.com/axcel216/me1.htm

Enjoy

KMA

Lightbulb

Yes there are some know problems with the system restore in Win Not M E.

It can be disabled but I no longer have it installed so I can't check how to disable it. I believe if you right click on My computer and select properties then the advanced tab it is in there somewhere.

As you see from the quote below it may be a waste of time disabling it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...tml#conclusion
    System Restore is annoying and it does noticeably slow overall system performance down when enabled. Toggle it off and things might actually be ok but unfortunately it turns itself on after a crash and randomly at times so you'll have to live with it until a fix is created.

Wink

Conrol Panel>System>Performance>File System>Troubleshooting>Disable System Restore. Hit apply. Hit OK. Reboot. Then you can delete W9XUNDO.DAT for my your root directory to free up space - usually 150mb+.

Hope that helps...

BTW - It hasn't turned itself back on and ME hasn't crashed on me - ever. Can hardly believe it myself! 2 1/2 weeks and no crash - almost doesn't feel like windows!

[This message has been edited by MadMatt (edited 10-02-2000).]