Thread: upgrading old laptop

upgrading old laptop

So my parents who are quit old have an old laptop that I have been maintaining for them . While they don't use it often they have used it for some banking and paying of some bills . The specs are as follows
    2ghz dual core
    4 Gb ram maxed out
    250 GB SSD drive
    windows 7 32 bit
    advast anti virus free version

that SSD drive allows it to run quit efficiently

Security is my concern from the prospective of both the OS and anti virus.
    So should I take this old system to windows
    8.1 32bit or 8.1 64bit or
    10 32bit or 10 64bit ???
    I'm leaning to 8.1 32bit

Also i don't feel I can trust Advast . I' considering either using Microsoft defender or Comodo . both are free

1) Windows 10 if at all possible.
    2) If the system (CPU etc.) was designed to handle 64-bit, recommend a 64-bit Operating System so it can take full advantage of the 4GB of RAM.
    3) Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes.

The laptop has a AMD Turion 64 x2 Dual core at 1.9 GHZ so i know the CPU can handle 64 . The only concern is that I always felt that 4GB of memory is not enough for 64 OS to run effectively.
    Also I'm using SUPERantispyware on the laptop. I suppose malwarebytes is better?

1) Microsoft.com > Windows 10 system requirements
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
    Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
    Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
    Display: 800 x 600
    2) Yes

I didn't realize before I wrote that Microsoft was offering free upgrade to windows 10 still.
    FREE ! so I took advantage of that offer and the lap top is running Win 10 32 bit. I would have loved 64 bit but that would not have been free. IT's running great but , one big But.
    Windows 10 does not support the video card. So the resolutions isn't terrible but it's also not acceptable.
    I can't find any drivers on line for it. Maybe you folks may have some suggestions.
    It's a toshiba satellite A215-S7437, dual core 1.9 AMd and a 250GB ssd drive.
    ATI RadeonTM X1200 graphics

Looks like I'll have to roll it back to windows 7 . It's a shame because in many ways win 10 is running smoother than 7 was. I think this laptop has run it's course. I don't think Microsoft will provide any defender updates so I have one last Norton license I can use on this laptop. At least for the next few months I'll have that security while we look for a replacement.
    Between 1992 and now, I've used every Microsoft and Apple OS and win 7 was perhaps my favorite. It's a shame to see it wither away.