dcsimg
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: no power on laptop

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Spokane WA
    Posts
    53

    no power on laptop

    HP 15.6 Sleekbook laptop. Worked fine no problems. Went to turn on in morning and will not power up. No indication of power. Tested power adapter, proper voltage. Used spare power adapter. Same problem. tested both with voltmeter. There is no power light where the plug connects to the computer. opened laptop and see no visible burns or wiring problems on connection or on motherboard. HP Community was no help. Naturally with being out of warranty, HP is no help! Any suggestions or help please. is it a motherboard problem?

  2. #2
    Administrator Steve R Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    5,195
    The usual problem is the power cord adaptor connected to the main board breaks..... The battery can't charge and when the battery dies it won't start.

    Quick test it to try another known charged up battery.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Spokane WA
    Posts
    53
    The Battery adaptor is putting correct power to the laptop. I also connected a spare adaptor to the laptop. The confusing thing is the small power light beside the power adaptor plugin also will not light. What determines that? I pulled the MOBO out and did a visual on it and can see no burns or marks. also replaced CMOS battery because it was low voltage. Will the fully charged battery, or uncharged battery effect the small power light that shows a adaptor plugged in. Is there a way to check the battery for voltage??

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Spokane WA
    Posts
    53
    Also, on my other Laptop, another HP but a two years older, I can take out the battery completely and plug in the adaptor and still have the power light at the plug! Also, at that time with Battery physically removed the laptop will start up and work properly.

  5. #5
    Administrator Steve R Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    5,195
    If the power cord adaptor is broken at the mobo that would explain both the light not working due to lack of complete connection and the laptop not starting.

    Only other test I can think of if to find a way to charge the battery.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Spokane WA
    Posts
    53
    Yesterday, I ordered the small module that the External power adaptor connects to which also houses the light that's supposed to show power from the connection! That module connects to the MOBO and I believe supplies power to the rest of the unit and Battery through about an 8 pin connector. I will post if that was successful for possible future help to others!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Spokane WA
    Posts
    53
    Replacing the small module that the adaptor connects to had no change. Pulling it out and looking at it closely, the connector sends the voltage to the MOBO to power it up. From the looks of it, operation/power to the MOBO should light that small indicator light that is on the module! Using another working laptop as an example, the battery has no bearing on it not working because you can remove a laptop battery, connect it to the power with Battery removed and still have working laptop and working light showing power to it. I guess I'll have to try to get HP to explain where and how that voltage comes back to light the light as the next step. Anyone have any further suggestions??

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    554
    Note that some laptops work without a battery, some will not.

    In your case, it sounds like there may be a problem with the motherboard circuitry. Liquids, lightning, ESD, failed parts, etc. Unfortunately, the only way to tell is with a replacement motherboard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •