Thread: What is "SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module system.drv"

What is "SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module system.drv"

Just as I resolved the issue on my parents old core duo I decided to dig way back into my storage closet and pull out the first rig I ever built back in the spring of 1997. It has been sitting there untouched for maybe 10 years. I fired it up and now I'm perplexed over this mysterious
    "SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module system.drv"

The system original specs were Asus P55T2p4 socket 7 baby AT board. pentium 166MHZ , 64MB, matrox millennium running windows 95 on a 1.5GB drive . later added a swapable drive bay so I can add a 3GB drive dual boot win 3.11 and win NT4.0 . It ran all 3 OS beautifully back in the day.
    By the fall of 98 I got a PII 300MHZ system and my original was partially decommissioned.
    Over the next 5 years i tinkered with it to try and keep it relevant. It currently has
    AMD k6 200MHZ, 128MB , Matrox millennium 2MB, ISA sound blaster, ISA modem , ISA Ethernet, HP cd rewriterable, 31/4 and 5 1/4 floppy.
    First drive is 8GB and dual boot win 3.11 and windows NT4.0 and it works fine.
    second drive is 3GB with win 95 but i noticed I left it with Rev A but that made no sense because I have Rev B so I tried to reinstall and got this mysterious error when I began the installation.

First I fdisk and format using the win 95 floppy, then I boot with win98 floppy with cd support then I run setup from the cd drive and it freezes.
    I tried fat 16 and fat 32 no difference.
    first i removed the sound card , modem and NIc and it made no difference.
    I tried from a different CD rom and no difference.
    I tried using my Pentium 200mmx processor and no difference. (of course adjusted the voltage.)
    I tried different cables and not difference.
    i disabled the level 2 cache and still no difference.
    I tested the memory and it's good. I tested the drive with seagate tools and it's good.
    I then tried installing windows 2000 on that drive and it installed flawlessly and worked way better then i had expected. I even then tried win NT4.0 and it also worked excellently .
    Last attempt was to install win 98 and that gave me the same issue.

So I suppose I just want to solve the mystery because I can't figure out why win 9X wont install but win NT and 2000 will install and work perfectly. The funny thing is I will never use this computer for anything other then my old games on 5 1/4 floppy.