Thread: which OS for older system

which OS for older system

So I need to replace my parents hard drive and I'm trying to figure out which OS would be best for an older system.
    IT's a core 2 duo 3GHZ with 4 GB memory max . Can't add any more.
    It was running win 7 32bit but win 7 is on the way out so I'm upgrade to 8.1
    the new drive is a simple 300 GB SATA .
    Since the max memory is 4gb I'm consider sticking with 32 win 8.1
    Or do you think it can handle a 64 bit OS ?
    Since my parents are in there 70's I'm not buying them a new system.
    thanks for your feed back.

Might want to tell us what computer that is, is it branded, like Dell, HP or ? and the model number would help too. Any windows version 64 bit would only use 3.25 to 3.45 of the 4GB of ram, so sticking with the 32bit would be best because it would use the whole 4gb if the computer doesn't have onboard video. Or if the computer has a slot for a standalone video card, that might be an option to upgrade so the computer will have use of the full 4GB of memory.

it was a Asus P5KPL motherboard. Built the rig in the fall of 2009 and the motherboard was already disco at the time so I got a good deal on it.
    Windows 7 has been living on the original drive since conception. it's had a good run. The board had no on board video. I'm using a 500MB PCIex card and I don't remember which one.
    At the time I built it 32bit seem just right considering the limited memory capacity. I've never actually tried running 64 bit version of win 8.1 or win10 on anything less then 6GB so I actually have no idea how it will respond to just 4GB .
    I"m also considering upgrading to a quad core 2 duo if I get a good deal on one.

Will the motherboard handle a quad core without a BIOS update? You might try windows 10 on that computer. From what I've heard it's more forgiving of older systems than any other windows versions before it. And knowing some older folks, my kin, they seem to be able to handle it and like it better than previous versions too. And as I said, a 32bit OS will only see 3.25 to 3.45 of the ram, so a 64bit OS will utilize the whole 4gb since you have a standalone video card, that's even better.

I'm running an AMD 8 core I built last fall. I've built all my own computers since 2002, and am a moderator on Virtual Dr, just a new/old member here.

FWIW, I agree with photolady on trying Windows 10. The biggest problem will be the different interface ... especially for us some of older folks. What seems to help immensely is: How to Make Windows 10 Look and Act More Like Windows 7. Another useful article for some setups is: The Complete Guide to Avoiding (and Removing) Windows Crapware.

I'd run Windows 10, which right now I'm avoiding like the plague, if I could run it more like Windows 7 and get rid of the crapware.

I agree with you both that win 10 is much easier for older folks to use especial since they are now used to the win 7 interface. I was only thinking about the cost of each. I'm aware of the 3.2Gb limit of a 32 bit OS , but I've been running under the assumption that microsoft has optimized there 32 bit OS for that amount of memory.
    but you all seem to imply that this system should be able to handle win 10 64bit.
    I'm also think that since I haven't purchased the replacement drive yet maybe I should go with a Solid state drive. I can pick up a 250GB for a reasonable price. On my own computer I'm using a hybrid drive and it seems a little fast but not much. I've used a system based on a SSD?
    So I'm thinking the best way to keep this system from becoming painfully slow is to use a SSD and pick up a quad core and hopefully they can get another 4 years with windows 10 64 bit. yes bios is up to date and Asus web site approves use of a quad core duo

A "bit" can contain 2 states, either a "0" or a "1".

In order for an operating system to keep track of what is exactly where in RAM memory, it must assign a unique address to every single "bit" location in memory.

That means for a 32-bit Operating System the math would be 2^32 (2 to the 32nd power) equals 4,294,967,296 (i.e., 4GB).

In other words, this 4,294,967,296 is the total maximum number of unique addresses that a 32-bit operating system has available to assign to each individual "bit" location in memory. ... i.e., there are absolutely no more available unique addresses to assign to any more memory addresses.

For even more detail, see my response over on VirtualDr: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...45#post1197645

And then Doc steps in and gets technical on you. LOL I'd say run Windows 10 64bit and get the quad core in there and you should get at least 4 more years if not more out of that 10 year old computer. Baring nothing else breaks down.

And of course it won't let me edit my post. But yes, an SSD drive would help also. I've been running these drives for a few years now and I've noticed a difference in them compared to the old plain SATA 7200 rpm drives.

I wholeheartedly agree on the SSD. Adds a much needed and appreciated 'snap' to older machines.

Thanks for your input folks . I did add a 250GB SSD and it has made a difference. Not huge but noticeable. Also went to 64 bit win 10. Didn't upgrade the processor yet because I've thrown enough money into this old machine. I'll see how it plays out over the next couple of months.

You're welcome!