Thread: Speed of processor is wrong in properties of My Computer? (XP machine)

Speed of processor is wrong in properties of My Computer? (XP machine)

For some reason, this system's specs in the properties of My Computer (XP machine) for the processor in this system does not match what I find online for this processor.

I've attached a pic of the specs that show up in the properties of My Computer.

Here they are:

System: MS Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, SP2

Manufacturer: Compaq/HP

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ 448Mhz, 1.00GB of RAM

The issue is the speed. As you can see above and in the attached pic, it says the speed of the processor is 448MHz, but when you look online for that processor, you'll find that the speed for this processor is 2.2GHz.

Why the discrepancy? Is 2.2GHz the true speed, or is it really 448MHz?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It sounds like "Cool N Quiet" is enabled in the BIOS, so the CPU is downclocked under low load.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool%27n%27Quiet

Thanks, Midknyte. So that setting can cause the speed to be just 20% of the full speed?

I don't know exactly how low it would go for that CPU, but it would be much lower than the 2200MHz.

I'm not sure if you can even get Cool’n’Quiet software from AMD anymore, but that's something to look at. Otherwise, you can look in the BIOS for the CPU settings.
    https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-...et-technology/

BTW, why are you still running SP2? That may also be why the CPU speed is inaccurate.

Ok, thanks.

Yes, still running SP2. Another time when the speed was checked via My Computer, it said the speed was in the 900's. So SP2 could cause the system to state different CPU speeds that are so dramatically inaccurate? Will MS allow us to update to SP3 via Windows Update? If not, do you have a trusted link for SP3?

I can't say for sure that SP3 would fix the CPU issue, but I'd still recommend it.

Another time when the speed was checked via My Computer, it said the speed was in the 900's.
    Right. The speed would vary by load. That's what Cool’n’Quiet does.

I haven't tried to update XP3 lately, so I'm not sure. MS dropped XP support almost 5 years ago. Majorgeeks should be safe.
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...ce_pack_3.html

Great. Thanks, Midknyte. We'll give that a shot.

Ultimate Member
    i am currently working on an old SSE-processor-PC where i had multiple winxp-hhds. after repair-installations sp3-system fall back to sp2 and i had hard time to reinstall sp3. but i could finally manage to update. since i made notes i could help if updating will fail.
    If there are internet-troubles i could also help and give hints where to go and get alternatives to Firefox and chrome-browser.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Also had this problem on my GA-7N400 Pro 2(SSE-Processor)-Winxp-PC. was trying to understand how cmos-setup/cmos must set and which are processor-data. first one must find technical data of processor.
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Then one must study manual and which jumper must be set.
    If your pc ran with the right data and you didnt interfer in cmos-setup then the above can be ignored.
    1. From time to time when i had to do a cold shut-down. processor-speed could be displayed at a lower rate.
    Solution a) shut down pc, shut down psu and press start-button briefly.
    if not working this helps:
    b) remove and install battery again.
    If still problems:
    3. maybe a new battery can help. still unsolved. are the setting in cmos ok, will they stay or only wrong speed?
    Your PC could be affected by capacitor plague(google). dopnt shut down PSU then completely only standby. otherwise one has to reset cmos-entries at every start. I could revive the responsible capacitor or multiples by forming them. keeping pc on for 24 hours. but this lasted only for 3 weeks. and worked only on the GA-MOBO not on the Dualcore- Asrock.
    i could revive my pc by a) resoldering cold contacts starting with battery cage. i did then resolder all possible contacts. i also did change the MOBOs. there were multiple defects major one was half-dead PSU. i have a very long thread starting in june. very complicated matter.
    But a had a long breath. could revive both PCS. Needed a lot of time, knowledge, intuition and nerves.
    Surfing on Internet, Facebook and videodownload-problem has kept me busy for many months. Special Palemoon or Firefox are needed.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Just recognized beside wrong speed on startup also wrong-old Firmware- will be displayed.
    My workaround should work on all PCs.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch