Thread: [Resolved] Dell OPtiplex 790 not seeing Nvidia video card

[Resolved] Dell OPtiplex 790 not seeing Nvidia video card

Have no idea which one yet. But yesterday, as spywaredr knows, I reinstalled Windows 7 on my brother's Dell computer. Everything went fine and I got all drivers installed with help of Dell support. The problem now is, Dell's BIOS isn't recognizing his standalone Nvidia card. Neither is Device Manager inside Windows.
    My next option is to open computer and remove card, reinsert it and boot up to see if BIOS detects card again. Does anyone know how to get this Dell to do a P.O.S.T?

I can take a photo of the BIOS and attach it here if you think that will help, let me know.

Are youi sure the video card is/was working?

If yes, did it come with a CD/DVD? If so, look on it for instructions.

The card came with a driver disk but he can't find it. But it doesn't matter, I have a driver on flash drive, we can start there with that one.

The computer itself didn't come with any disks. I found out yesterday when I started to wipe and reload that it had a recovery partition but he let some other guy try to help him and he messed up the recovery drive partition so it wouldn't work anymore. He said the friend knew what he was doing. I said, evidently not or he wouldn't have screwed up the recovery partition. How the hell do you screw up a recovery partition? LOL

He's let it do auto updates and we're waiting on those to finish before it will let him shut off the computer. When that happens, then I can open the computer and check/remove card, reinstall it, and reboot. I can go over to Dell with the service tag and see if I can find a service manual on how to get a P.O.S.T. or how to make it see the video card or change the onboard to standalone card.
    It's an Intel i5. Ugh!!
    Last edited by photolady95; 12-10-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Depends on the i5. If he's into gaming, the i5-8700 gives you good bang for a buck.

Don't remember fiddling around with a Dell Optiplex 790. Probably have but, I simply don't remember.

Case closed. Installed video card driver from Nvidia, all's well. Black bar running around monitor gone, brother happy and thanked me. Monitor driver installed, and little sister fixed that so it doesn't say generic PnP monitor any more either.

The only games he plays are online at pch.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Three cheers for PhotoLady!
    Thanks, Doc!!!

You're a mod here, can you add Resolved to the title to this thread for me. I was surprised to find under thread tools there isn't any way to do that here like over at VDR.

I meant add it to the title. I know there is now option to add it through thread tools.

This message is coming to you from my new desktop computer.

1) Done! (Glad this isn't a busy site though. Would NOT enjoy having to do that multiple times a day).

2) Insert <HappyDance> here.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do that many times a day either, Doc.

I asked Steve about making me a mod here but.....well, then I said I was just kidding. Guess he took me at heart cause I've not heard whether he would or not.

And it would make it easier on me, when I make mistakes I can still correct them, like above where I said now way instead of no way. LOL

Know what you mean with that "now way" type stuff. Hate when that happens.