Thread: No video ?

Question No video ?

I have a PC with Windows 10, upgrade from Windows 7 and a Samsung flat screen monitor with DVI digital input and VGA Analog input. I have a good video card and connected to the DVI input everything was fine. Recently an older friend asked me to install some games on his older Gateway PC with VGA input. I have a VGA-VGA cable. I turned off my PC and. Unplugged my DVI cable from the monitor and plugged in one end of the VGA cable to my monitor, and the other end into my friends VGA input on his PC and installed his games. I then turned off my monitor and his PC and removed the VGA cable. When he left I re connected my DVI cable to the monitor and booted it up my PC, it was running fine but my monitor reported it was in analog mode and check signal cable ? I checked the connection to my monitor it was fine, but the monitor still reported that it was in analog, and check signal cable ?

Suggestions ?

Some monitors do not automatically detect which cable is connected. So, on those you usually have to press a button on the monitor to cycle through all of the input options available on that monitor.

Ok, if I hear my computer boot up fine, but I am having trouble with my monitor, is this an issue with my PC, the monitor or the video card on my PC ?

I'd test with a known-good monitor, power cord and video cable first.

What is the exact model number of the monitor? As SpywareDr said, there should be a button to switch or detect digital/analog modes.

It's a Samsung SyncMaster 2494. A friend said it could be my DVI-D to DVI-D single link cable ? Is there a big difference between a single link and dual link cable ? DVI -D that is ?
    Last edited by Network67; 06-20-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Info

Quote Originally Posted by Network67 View Post
    It's a Samsung SyncMaster 2494.

Thanks, but I do not see a "source" button ?image.jpeg

The button to the left of "Auto" is the "Source" button. Look at the icon.

Thanks Midknyte, I appreciate your help ��
    Last edited by Network67; 06-21-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: More info

Just an update, thanks for the suggestions, as it turns out there was no issue with my monitor or DVI cable. My video card was the issue. An EVGA GeForce Gtx 750 ti. I was lucky though, my Asus motherboard has a DVI. I connected the monitor cable to this port and everything is fine. Just wondering what could have happened to my Video card ? It was working fine. I removed it and re seated it, no response ?