Thread: SSD sata II vs sata III

SSD sata II vs sata III

I have a 9 year old sata II intel 80gb ssd seems to be working fine (INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC)

I'm thinking of upgrading to Team Group L5 LITE 3D 2.5" 240GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) T253TD240G3C101

Since my motherboard is ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 (sata II) would I notice a difference?

The SATAIII SSD would be bottlenecked by the SATAII interface, but you'd probably notice the write speed improve. SATAII maxes out at around 300MBps.

INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC
    Sequential Read (up to) 250 MB/s
    Sequential Write (up to) 70 MB/s

T253TD240G3C101
    Max Sequential Read Up to 470 MBps
    Max Sequential Write Up to 400 MBps

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    The SATAIII SSD would be bottlenecked by the SATAII interface, but you'd probably notice the write speed improve. SATAII maxes out at around 300MBps.

INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC
    Sequential Read (up to) 250 MB/s
    Sequential Write (up to) 70 MB/s

T253TD240G3C101
    Max Sequential Read Up to 470 MBps
    Max Sequential Write Up to 400 MBps
    Thanks for the info Midknyte. So I'm looking at 20% read and over 400% write speed increases. What operations would write speed accelerate other than transferring data. I don't do that much with large video files anymore. I am mostly looking for extra snap in the OS.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

300MBps is theoretical max, so it's going to be less than that. I don't think you'll notice an improvement in the read speed, but you'd need to benchmark the SSDs. That's the only way you could quantifiable compare them.

What operations would write speed accelerate other than transferring data.
    Any operation that writes data to the drive would be faster. I'm not sure how to make that clearer.

OK got it, Thanks. I'm guessing in real world OS performance not much difference.

I do not think you will notice real world OS differences. I agree with Midknyte that the SATA interface limits the speeds of SSD's.

I have a Western Digital 3D Nand SSD. I saw terrible performance (advertised 530MB/s write and 560MB/s read speeds) and then realized my motherboard only has one SATA 3 port after a bit of research. I moved ports and saw the increase in speed. It will be well worth it to go from your SATA 2 to a SATA 3 drive.

The other thing to remember is that the SSD will only start to see its speed benefits when writing larger file chunks around 128K-256K. You can see this by running a disk performance tool.
    -- Mathias