Thread: Deleting Partitions & Creating One Partion

Deleting Partitions & Creating One Partion

I guess old age is getting to me. I have a bay for hard drives and used that for backing up my PC. I use EasuUs Backup Free by cloning. The thought was that if I run into an issue with the C drive I could pop the backup dik in, boot to it, then rebuild the SSD.

My system C drive (SSD) is 500 GB and the disk I use for backup is 1 TB. Things went fine for a couple of backups then I got the message that the disk isn't large enough. It looks like I let the backup program clone the backup disk to the same size as the SSD. Now it's gotten larger. I have tried every thing I could in Disk Management, but cannot get rid of the partitions or create a new one the size of the backup disk.

I've looked around the net and haven't found any reference to an issue like this, deleting the partitions and returning the disk to one large partition. What am I missing?

The attached file shows what I am dealing with, Disk 2.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

You would use cloning to make an exact copy of one drive onto another. I wouldn't use cloning unless you are replacing or swapping out a drive. You should be using IMAGE backups. I don't use Easeus for my backups, so I'm not sure of the exact procedure.

So that Easeus program created that partition in the middle of the drive? You'd need to move the drive all the way to the left first, then resize and expand to use up the free space.

Or you could just delete the existing partition, you'd create a new one from the available space.

I've checked out everything in disk management and do not see a way to move any of the partitions or to delete them. It will not let me enlarge either partition when I try to create a new one. It's like it's stuck here and it seems I cannot do anything with the drive.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

You can't right click on the partition and delete it? Hmm. It looks like it was set as a recovery partition.

Easeus has a partition manager, but i use Minitool.
    https://www.partition-tool.com/
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

I tried that mini tool from Partition Magic and found it to be easy and intuitive. Igot the drive back to one partition. Then I saw they also had a disk imager. That was pretty straightforward also.

I guess I’ll change my backup strategy now. I just thought it would be a simple recovery to have a pre-built disk to just slap in if an emergency arose.

Thanks for the help.

I just thought it would be a simple recovery to have a pre-built disk to just slap in
    But that limits you to one backup. You can make multiple backup image files and store them on one disk.

Yes, but I’m awful lazy! However, the tools I tried yesterday were very easy to use. Thanks for leading me to them. I’ll go with a more normal process for backups now..

Recovery Device was not properly made.