Thread: SSD

Question SSD

Hello, on my PC I have a 237 GB Solid state drive with Windows 10 and Office 2007. I also have a 931 Gig Western Digital hard drive with photos and music. Now my solid state drive had plenty of free space, but it has filled up quite fast suddenly with 10.5 Gigs of space left. What is causing this, and what can I do to increase the storage on this ssd ?

Thanks,

You need to find out what is taking up the space before we can recommend fixes. Run one of the following programs first.

http://www.disktective.com/
    https://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Was this a clean install or an upgrade to Win10?
    Check things like System Restore and see what space settings you are using.

Hi Midknyte in response to your question, I did a clean install of Windows7 on this sad, and later upgraded to Windows 10.

Thanks..

Hi Midknyte, I used disktective and just over half of my ssd was reported as Users. what does this mean ?

You need to go deeper than just the "Users" folder. That's where all the user profiles and data is contained.

If you upgraded from 7 to 10, then the old Win7 files may still be on the drive (Windows.old folder). That takes up a lot of space too.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ion-of-windows

So if the photo shows that just over half the circle is in white and the Word Users point to this area, this could be my old Windows 7 taking up this space ?

Quote Originally Posted by Network67 View Post
    So if the photo shows that just over half the circle is in white and the Word Users point to this area, this could be my old Windows 7 taking up this space ?
    No, the old Windows 7 would be in the Windows.old folder, if you have one. Win10 is supposed to get rid of the Windows.old folder after 10 days of upgrading.

As I said, "Users" is the folder that contains all user profiles and data. It's more likely that you have a lot of data in your "Documents" or other User folders. Like I said, you need to explore the Users folder to see exactly what is taking all the space. Just expand the Users folder in the left hand column.

Hello again Midknyte, I went into my computer, setting, storage, for my C: drive, SSD
    I went into temporary files and removed my Windows 7 old. It is showing Videos 7.19 GB and Music 19GB ? All my videos and music are not on drive C: SSD they're on my Western Digital hard drive ? Does this have to do with iTunes on my drive C: SSD ?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Network67; 01-22-2018 at 11:15 PM.

It is showing Videos 7.19 GB and Music 19GB ? All my videos and music are not on drive C: SSD they're on my Western Digital hard drive ? Does this have to do with iTunes on my drive C: SSD ?
    YES. By default, iTunes stores the files in your Users folder (C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204668

Thanks Midknyte, if I move iTunes to my WD hard drive will my access to iTunes slow ?

if I move iTunes to my WD hard drive will my access to iTunes slow ?
    Slower than an SSD of course. If anything, the files would open slower, but they would play ok.

Thanks Midknyte, for your help.