Thread: Move Windows 10 to a new motherboard?

Hybrid View

Move Windows 10 to a new motherboard?

I remember reading that Windows 10 is now tied to your hardware. I searched on how I can install a new motherboard and am getting some different results. I have the installation disk made from the ISO files and the Windows Key, but don't think I can just do an install to the new motherboard with the key.

Anyone have a definitive source of how this is done? Does it make a difference that this was the free upgrade from Windows 7?

Thanks
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

After rereading this I feel I didn't explain myself completely. I don't want to reinstall windows. What I'd like to do is just install a new motherboard and boot up letting windows detect the devices and load drivers. I realize it might be in safe mode and then I'll have to load the newest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer. I just haven't done this in many years and want have it go fairly smooth.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    May work as you listed.

Just a follow up I changed the motherboard in my PC and I wasn't able to activate Windows with the key I had. I wound up calling Microsoft and they said the key I had was the old Windows 7 key from prior to Windows 10 update. It took them about 10 minutes and they got it activated for me.

I downloaded NirSoft ProduKey to get the correct key. I then changed my wife's motherboard. I used this key under the "change product key" and it said it couldn't activate with it. However, after a reboot I checked it it now said it was activated and the last digits of the key I used matched what Windows said.

So, it appears if the have the product key you and successfully activate Windows 10. If you can't, it's a short call with Microsoft support to straighten it out.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Thanks for posting the fix!