Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I can't get my PC to sleep mode any more!

Hybrid View

Smile I can't get my PC to sleep mode any more!

Hello group- newbie here.

I am using Windows 7, and I think that when I did a Windows Update something went wrong and my ability to let the computer go to sleep was wiped out.

I've been searching in google for a solution and tried a couple things to no avail.

I go into Control Panel, systems settings, power options and now it just gives me an interval when to shut down the computer, nothing about "sleep".

I used to have it so that it would automatically go to sleep after a few minutes, then all I'd need to do is come back and move my mouse and it would wake up.

Now I've been getting by just shutting down, but that is pretty inconvenient if I need to get right back on.

My PC is a Dell, so I went to their site and did a diagnostic and it indicated that my driver was outdated and needed an update. They did it while I waited (took about 15 minutes to run their diagnostic program). Then I rebooted and went in to control panel and still the system won't go to sleep.

I am considering throwing up my hands and just going for Windows 10, perhaps that is the solution?? I thought I'd try in here.

Thanks for listening!!

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Did you scan for malware.?

Thank you I tried methods #1 and #2, method #3 is a little daunting to me, I am not sure of startup programs, etc.

If you'd rather not use the command line, scroll down a bit in "Method #3" and start where it says "You can also prevent the devices from waking a Windows 7 computer using Device Manager.".

Thanks Spyware Dr- I tried method 3 using the device manager. However, that didn't help my issue.

Sorry to hear that; it worked here. Hopefully someone else with some other ideas to try will be along soon.

I go into Control Panel, systems settings, power options and now it just gives me an interval when to shut down the computer, nothing about "sleep".
    You mean you don't see sleep listed like in Method #2? When I open Control Panel > Power Options, and click Change plan settings, the sleep setting is right there.

Did you check Task Manager to see if any applications are open in the background? Something might be preventing the system from sleeping.

I don't see the point in upgrading to Win10. If you do an upgrade, it will just carry over any existing issues.

I mean when I use Method 2 there is no "sleep" option, it's just a "shut down" option. So I keep switching from 15 minutes to 10 minutes and see if that works but no it doesn't.

I had some same problem, try to normally reboot your PC twice, after use sleep mode.
    If it not help, may be need to reinstall Windows

I need a little help to figure out which programs in task manager are keeping my PC from sleeping. Do I do the msconfig command?

Can you post a screenshot? So you're saying instead of "Put the computer to sleep:" it says "Shut down:"?

Is this a laptop or a desktop? You didn't post the make/model.

Msconfig tells you what runs on startup. If you look in Task Manager, see if there are any processes using a lot of CPU other than "System Idle Process".

Sorry about that- I have a Dell desktop. I'll work on making some screencaptures this evening.

Here are some screencaps of my PC and task manager, hopefully you'll be able to see something about my system that is going off

First, my PC stats, then some screen caps of power settings, task manager. Hopefully this will work, any recommendations are appreciated!!! Thanks.
    task manager.jpgcomputer specs.jpgpower settings.jpgdevice manager.jpg

It looks like there is an issue with your video card in Device manager. Have you updated your drivers?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topi...de-option-gone
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e79d2e2?auth=1

I see Plex is running. That's for media sharing, so it might prevent your system from sleeping.