Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I can't get my PC to sleep mode any more!

I went in to my NVIDIA driver and tried updating, and this is what I got:
    driver update.jpg

You tried updating from Device Manager? You need to download the drivers from Nvidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

This is what came up for Win7 64 for the GT 720:
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/123934/en-us

Thank you! OK I'll try the Nvidia site. Do you know if I should do the x32 or x64 driver? I see that I have both on my computer.

According to your screenshot, you have Windows 7 64-bit (x64).
    What do you mean you have x32? Do you have more than one version of Windows installed?

No I am sorry about that confusion. When I go into programs that are installed on my PC, one file says "Programs" and the other says "Programs (x86)". That was what I meant to say - what is X86?

x86 = 32-bit
    Programs (x86) is the folder where 32-bit apps are installed.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/129178/why...es-x86-folder/

Thank you for your help! Please forgive my ignorance in this, but I went to the GeForce site and it looks like they are drivers for people who play games, what would this have to do with my problem about the computer not being able to sleep?

Did you check out the links I posted on post #15? The video card drivers can affect the sleep mode. Also, there is a yellow exclamation point warning on your video card in Device Manager.

Even if you don't play games, the GT720 still needs to have the proper drivers installed.

I tried but failed with NVidia- here is a screenshot

nvidia.jpg

I just checked Windows Update- there's something about NVIDIA drivers! I think I'll try this:

windows update.jpg

So you downloaded 385.69-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe and it gave you that error?

You can try the Windows Update driver, I guess. I prefer to get the driver directly from the vendor.

You could also check out the Dell support site for your model. It would probably be an older set of drivers, but the main thing is to get the video working properly.

Here's a quick update-
    I went to the link from Nvidia, and tried the download, and got the error message back. When I went into Windows Update, I saw that Nvidia update and tried it, but I got an error message. I'll post a screenshot when I get home (at work now).

Did you try the drivers from the Dell site yet?
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...s-8700/drivers

I'm guessing it would be the nVIDIA GeForce 5xx/6xx/7xx Series Graphics Driver

Midknyte- thank you so much for your patience. I tried the Dell site you linked and they were able to download 1 of 2 driver updates. After I shut down, Windows Update tried to update the driver software and failed.

driver 10-8-17.jpg

I went back into GE Force NVIDIA and tried to register with the GE Force Experience to see if they could trouble shoot, but I need to create an account, after I put my email, another required field is "Display name". Everything I try gets a pop up saying name already exists. I tried my name, the display name GT720, nothing works.

My biggest problem is all these programs that I am going to

Windows Update
    Dell
    Nvidia

My antivirus is eset, but they give me a pop up to allow these other places to run.

I don't know what else I can try with my limited technical skill. I just wish there was a PC trouble shooting program I can use that can detect and update all my existing drivers and clean up all the unnecessary ones. Is there such a thing?

For now, I am just shutting down my PC when I'm done, but it would be so nice to get back to just letting it sleep when I'm gone and jiggle the mouse to get me back up and running. I appreciate your help with this and sorry if I am not understanding the proper methods to fix this.

Who is "they" at the Dell site? I only see one driver file listed.
    Did you download "Video_Driver_77P69_WN_9.18.13.3185_A00.EXE"?

Like I said, I don't use Windows Update to install drivers.

Sorry, but you may need to get a more tech savvy friend to help you. There is only so much we can do on a forum.