Hello group- newbie here.

I am using Windows 7, and I think that when I did a Windows Update something went wrong and my ability to let the computer go to sleep was wiped out.

I've been searching in google for a solution and tried a couple things to no avail.

I go into Control Panel, systems settings, power options and now it just gives me an interval when to shut down the computer, nothing about "sleep".

I used to have it so that it would automatically go to sleep after a few minutes, then all I'd need to do is come back and move my mouse and it would wake up.

Now I've been getting by just shutting down, but that is pretty inconvenient if I need to get right back on.

My PC is a Dell, so I went to their site and did a diagnostic and it indicated that my driver was outdated and needed an update. They did it while I waited (took about 15 minutes to run their diagnostic program). Then I rebooted and went in to control panel and still the system won't go to sleep.

I am considering throwing up my hands and just going for Windows 10, perhaps that is the solution?? I thought I'd try in here.

Thanks for listening!!