Thread: How to remove RJ45 connector ?

How to remove RJ45 connector ?

Im intrigued with CAT5 crossover cables. I have a CAT5 cable with 568A ends. I want to transform it into a crossover cable and found the schematics fore a 568B end. Now all i need to do is rewire one 568A end and Im set. The problem is removing this RJ45 connector on the end. How do i get it off? I do want to replace it back on for future usage. Do i reguire a special device for removal and reinsertion?

I have 2 different CAT5 cables each with a deifferent looking rj45 end. The one RJ45 seems to be held in place by some rectangular block coming from the cable while the other seems to be pinching down on the cable .

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You MUST cut it off and crimp on a new connector. They are not reusable. You will need a special crimper to do it right.

It would be cheaper and easier to buy one already made for you.

Always good to keep these two gizmos in the drawer.

Inline Coupler – Let you connect two CAT5e cables to make a longer one.

Link to: Category 5 RJ-45 Inline Coupler.

Eventually it is much better to use one longer cable but when the stores are closed and you need a longer cable it might save you.

Inline reverse Coupler. When connecting two straight Cat5e the resultant is one combo that is a Cross over CAT5e.

Link to: CAT5E RJ45 Female to Female Crossover Coupler.

Good to have when you suddenly need a Crossover cable.

The worse enemy of Networking are Cables Crimped by inexperienced Crimper.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Your odds would be about 1 bad out of every 10 ends you crimp until you get the hang of it. You should always use an in-line tester to verify that each wire is correctly crimped and has continuity.

Great stuff. Thanks!

The simplest way to check your crimping job is to plug both ends into a two port surface mount box and use a multimeter or a simple contiuity tester to verify the circuit.
    I wouldn't want to do this all day long but it works great for occasional use.

http://www.cablesforless.com/browsep...Dual--tan.html

I would like to know if there is a tool to remove the RJ45 by Lifting the pins back up. I do not want to cut it off because in some cases you will find your cord my be becoming too short to be cutting!

I can see in some RJ45 the pins are actually are set at one end of the pin on a pivoting end which when pushed down the pin moves actually in an arc down ward around the pivoting corner. A tool could be made to pull the opp-set side up ward and making the pivoting end move around the round plastic corner while the opp-set side of the pin slide back up.

There is no such tool and it wouldn't make sense anyway. The crimped end pierces the cable coating to make contact with the metal core. You'd need to discard that part of the cable, so at best you'd save half an inch. Not worth the time or money. It's much faster to just cut off the end and crimp on a new one.

This thread is almost 13 years old. Next time, just start a new thread.