Thread: I would like to be able to boot my existing XP OS on new machine

Threaded View

I would like to be able to boot my existing XP OS on new machine

My XP machine has served me well, but I'm encountering more and more browser issues, especially with embedded videos and sites that still use Java. I'm running Java SE 8 plugin for Firefox, which is as far as I can go with XP.

I have zero interest in upgrading to another windows OS, so the plan is to build a new Linux machine (probably Mint) for browsing and to run the Plex media server, and then set up my existing XP OS to I can access via dual-boot and continue to use all my legacy software. As I have time, I would transition as much as possible to Linux compatible open source applications.

So the question is, what's involved in setting up my XP OS partition to boot on a modern mobo/CPU? Will I be limited to a mobo/socket/bios combinations that supported 32-bit XP? Since my new machine will have more than 4GB RAM, I'm wondering if XP would simply work within its addressable limits?

I don't need a fancy video card, so I should be able to find a more-than-adequate PCI-e card with both XP and Linux drivers. I'm sure there are other challenges I haven't thought of, which is why I'm posting this.
    Last edited by ginahoy; 05-28-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3