Thread: would a Mac G5 video card (Radeon 9600XT) work on a WinXP machine?

would a Mac G5 video card (Radeon 9600XT) work on a WinXP machine?

I need a cheap backup video card for backup as I'm doing critical work (not at all video intensive) and I can't take a chance on being without my machine. I've been using what was my backup since my primary video card failed a couple of months ago (7600GS, 8X AGP, passive cooling). Now, if my backup card fails I'd be in deep do-do. There's no way I'd be able to find a legacy AGP card locally.

Interestingly, even though my backup (Radeon 9600SE) is significantly less capable than the 7600GS, it does just fine for my needs.

There's a good selection of inexpensive passive 9600XT AGP cards on eBay for the MAC G5. Would those work on a WinXP machine? I built my PC to be super low noise, thus the passively cooled cards. I plan to build a new low-noise Linux machine this summer with modern components.
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Did some digging.
    Generally speaking, a graphics card sold for PCs will not work in a Mac, and vice versa (some cards can be changed through a firmware installation.) You may find a difference in cost. If the cards are otherwise identical, the firmware installed on the cards will be different, and then, the installed drivers may not provide completely identical functions on both cards. The various graphics sites that provide benchmark tests sometimes will directly compare a Mac to a PC card. IMHO, there's too many variables to correctly compare identical models on a Mac and a PC.
    https://macosx.com/threads/differenc...s-cards.35819/

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ginahoy View Post

I plan to build a new low-noise Linux machine this summer with modern components.
    Might want to look into refurbished. What I have bought since 2013. And yes most of the run Linux. Antix and MX are the distros I use. I even put this threead together.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...-and-Fun-Stuff

Newegg has a new EVGA GeForce 6200 card for $40, which is on par with my current card, the Radeon 9600 SE. And there's a used Radeon 9600XT on eBay for about the same price. Wow. I may take your advice and just go with a PCI. Thanks for the feedback!

So I was thinking about Mint distro, but I'll take a look at your post.
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3

Lifetime Friend of Staff

I found a Radeon HD 2400 Pro PCI. This card has significantly better performance my current backup card (Radeon 9600SE AGP), even though peak power is almost the same. I'm guessing that's because it's more modern (2007 vs. 2003).

Interestingly, the performance ratings @ gpureview.com for HD2400 Pro AGP & HD2400 Pro PCIe are identical to PCI version. That implies the bus interface wasn't a limiting factor for this generation GPU. Is this plausible? I realize the HD 2400 wasn't a high end card, but you would think that any card developed that many years after AGP was introduced would take advantage of AGP's higher clock speed and see benefit from not having to contend for the bus.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    You guessed right, just AGP has been put out to pasture and retired.
    PCI-E does have DX-10.
    I found this interesting.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ad,1213-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    You guessed right, just AGP has been put out to pasture and retired.
    Not sure I follow. My 'guess' was about how HD2400 PCI has significantly better performance than an AGP card. I get that. But what I don't understand is why all three bus versions of this card have identical performance. Shouldn't the PCI-e version outperform the PCI and or AGP version?

PCI-E does have DX-10.
    I think you meant PCI (of course PCI-E supports 10, but I didn't know PCI did/does, thx for link). In any case, shouldn't the PCI-E version of a card outperform the PCI version?, and certainly the PCI-E version should outperform AGP, no?

I just don't want to make a decision based on what may be bogus test data on the gpureview site. On the other hand, there might be a logical explanation for PCI/AGP/PCI-E versions having identical performance.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    DX 10 is only supported by PCI-E.

PCI is slower than AGP/PCI-E
    I was sure happy when I replaced the PCI card with a AGP X8 card. Big difference when playing videos.

and certainly the PCI-E version should outperform AGP, no?
    That is what we expect, but as you found out, that is not true.

I just don't want to make a decision based on what may be bogus test data on the gpureview site.
    Tomshardware does have video charts where they rate the different cards.
    I used their charts and recommended folks chose their new video cards using their data a reference.
    EXAMPLE:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rchy,4388.html

On the other hand, there might be a logical explanation for PCI/AGP/PCI-E versions having identical performance.
    GPU and bandwidth limitations within the card were what I remember reading. And of coarse comes before the PCI/AGP/PCI-E bus the mobo has.

In the context of my earlier question (how HD2400 PCI could best my AGP backup card), I just assumed you meant to say PCI supports DX10. Actually, the HD2400 Pro PCI does support DX10 (see http://bit.ly/2qR7qsC), although I didn't know that when I asked the question.

I decided to go with another Radeon 9600SE AGP I found on eBay for $15, sold by original owner. Since it's identical to the card I'm currently using, I don't have to worry about drivers. Although it's the lowest performer of all the cards I looked at, it's been fine for my needs. Also, the 9600 draws so little power, I was able to scavenge my Scythe 120mm bottom-case fan that keep my 7600GS cool (both cards are passive) so I could use it to replace the fan in my power supply after it started making noise around the same time my 7600GS bit the dust. To be safe, I installed a thermocouple at hottest point on the 9600 heatsink and it hasn't exceeded 41C under load.

That's an awesome chart. I'm surprised I hadn't run across it yet. I bookmarked for when I build my next machine.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Surprised me about that PCI card supporting DX 10.
    Getting rid of the old drivers can be a PITA.
    Gone that route a few times myself for the same reason.
    Good Luck with the card.

You may want to bookmark thia link also.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...s-cards,1.html

Thanks for the assist, Train

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    You are Welcome.