Thread: Preferred iP Address in my Laptop?

Preferred iP Address in my Laptop?

Just started my laptop, it connects to my router, but says I have no Internet connection. Looking at ipconfig it says the adapter's ip address is 196.254.238.156(Preferred) with subnet mask 255.255.0.0. I have no idea where this came from and do not recognize this network. I have an Xfinity gateway and the network is is 10.0.0.0. I have tried releasing and renewing and restarts, but it always comes up the same. It also shows a preferred iPv6 address.

Any thoughts on how I get this changed?

Thanks
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Looking at ipconfig it says the adapter's ip address is 196.254.238.156(Preferred)
    Can you double check that? If it was a 169.254.x.x, that would be APIPA, which means the system isn't seeing a DHCP server.

You didn't say if it was wired or wireless.

Sorry, forgot it's wireless. I looked at the Xfinity gateway and for some unknown reason this MAC address is showing up as reserved. No idea how that happened. Anyway, turned DHCP off in the laptop and when it restarted it connected to the router on the reserved address. That is a temporary work around and need to get that address of the reserved list in the Gateway

I'm trying to get someone from Xfinity to explain how to take the reservation off since the gateway doesn't seem to have an easy way to do this. I just need to find someone who knows a little more than reboot the router & the PC that is connected to it via Ethernet.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.