Thread: Computer not bootng up

Question Computer not bootng up

I wonder if someone could help, when I woke up this morning Inoticed the power went out over night. So I booted up computer and it brings up the bios screen, it's not booting into Windows ? So it says, please enter setup to recover biossettings. Press F1 to run setup. Well Itapped on it and there is no response ?

Question

the bios screen shows my 2 hard drives, an ssd with Windows 10 and a western digital media drive and my cdrom. I checked the hd connections, ok, the keyboard and mouse reseated ok, I am at a loss, I cant access bios screen ? Bad keyboard ? Bad hard drive ? Everything was workong fine untilthis morning ?
    Last edited by Network67; 02-19-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Kind of sounds like bad shutdown may have reset the BIOS.

May need to get a PS/2 keyboard as right now the USB one is not working.
    Why I still keep a couple of them.
    Although some computers do not have the ps/2 connection.

Thanks train, as I mentioned, I woke up this morning and noticed the clock on my stove was flashing, so The power must have gone out last night. My PC boots up ok, but goes right to bios, like I dont have a hd and my keyboard was not responding. I do have 2 ps2 on the motherboard, i hope a ps 2 keyboard will help, and that my Asus mobo is not damaged ��

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    i hope a ps 2 keyboard will help, and that my Asus mobo is not damaged
    I hope so to.

Ultimate Member
    I have now 3 MOBO. 2 as backups! were had to and i missed them twice and one thanks to an idiot who had sent me the wrong one, sold "MINE" to someone else then!

Shouldnt he do a cmos-clear and removing and replacing the battery afterwards?
    he should also clean all contacts with alcohol using a fresh teeth-brush. for cleaning memory-contact i am starting using an hard erazor first.
    Was the pc-power not shut down completely? PSU-power set to off after shutting down?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Some people set everything to never and leave them on.

I am not sure if it's the usb ports or the keyboard, but there is some functionality there. When the bios screen requests me to press F1, there is no response. But pressing ctrl, alt, delete, does reboot my computer ? I am still looking i to the ps2 keyboard option.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Try a different kb, usb and see what happens.

Well, I thought my PC was doomed, and that I would have to replace the motherboard. I bought a USB keyboard and amazingly I was able to access the settings. An error reported that the boot sector could not be found, I did get into Windows but had to reinstall the OS. Luckily I created an image of my hard drive before this issue.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Luckily I created an image of my hard drive before this issue.
    Glad you had that!

Ultimate Member
    There are easy workarounds when pc is hangin at start. maybe Train can find my thread. he gave a clever hint using a boot-cd.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I burned this to a cd. And when XP refused to boot, I boot to Window using it and replaced the missing by using the ones on the disk.

Create a Windows startup disk when you first install Windows on the computer. This disk is different from an MS-DOS startup disk. Unlike MS-DOS, the whole Windows operating system cannot fit on one floppy disk. A Windows startup disk contains only the files that you must have to start the operating system with the remainder of the Windows system files installed on the hard disk drive. To create the startup disk, follow these steps:
    • Insert a blank floppy disk in drive A, and then format the disk by using Windows XP.
    • From the root folder of the system partition of your hard disk drive (for example, C:\-), copy the following files to the floppy disk:Boot.ini
      NTLDR
      Ntdetect.com

You may have to remove the hidden, system, and read-only attributes from the files.
    • Restore the hidden, system, and read-only attributes to the files on your hard disk if you removed these attributes.
    • If the Bootsect.dos file or the Ntbootdd.sys file resides in the system partition, repeat steps 2 through 4 to copy these files to the boot disk.

If you format a floppy disk in Windows XP, the startup record points to the NTLDR file. When NTLDR runs, it loads the available operating system selections from the Boot.ini file. If you select Windows, NTLDR runs Ntdetect.com, and then passes control to Osloader.exe. If you select
    MS-DOS or OS/2, NTLDR loads Bootsect.dos.