Thread: Enabling AHCI Mode

Enabling AHCI Mode

I bought a Themaltake hot swap drive bay for my PC. I read that I had to have AHCI enabled on the SATA Mode. I did this and the system will not boot. I get a message saying it cant read the boot device and tries to repair it. If I return the setting to the original, IDE, it boots fine. I looked around the web and wasn't impressed with what I read. I get the idea that to use AHCI I can only enable that while performing a clean installation of Window. Is that correct, or am I misinterpreting this?

System:
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Mainboard: MSI 970A-G43 (MS-7693)
    CPU: AMD FX=6300
    Drive: Crucial CT480BX200 SSD
    Memory: 16 Gig

Thanks
    Last edited by TonyMan; 02-10-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to put drive info in post
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Ultimate Member
    I remember vagely the problems i had once on my winxp-pc.
    Sometime procedures are a bit tricky. but i cant remember exactly what i did. maybe one can find it here by searching my name and AHCI.
    maybe try cmos-setup reset inside cmos not removing battery. if not working remove battery. experts here?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Thanks, I did do more searching & found a couple of different procedures. I am going to try the one that looks the leaxt invasive first - after setting a restore point!
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

I read that I had to have AHCI enabled on the SATA Mode. I did this and the system will not boot.
    Yup. That is expected. You need to have the proper AHCI drivers installed/enabled first.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...the-boot-drive

Thanks Midknyte. I was looking around the web in the meantime and found this: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...tallation.html

I gave it a try and now it boots OK and the hot swap device works fine.