Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Logout and shutting down from Winxp ultra-slow. 70 sec or blocked

Hybrid View

Ultimate Member

Logout and shutting down from Winxp ultra-slow. 70 sec-delay or blocked

In Winxp after a security-run with AVG, Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner JRT i encountered a sudden blocking of logout from the accounts.
    maybe with an additional combination of Ctrl + Alt + Delete will finally trigger that, maybe also with alt + f4.
    I can switch between accounts.
    but i must wait long 70 secs. sometimes i am pressing quickly soft-shutdown-button to trigger.
    tried a lot and altered registry. will show that site since i dont know for all settings which is default. and running a program.
    nothing helped.
    yes defraggler had been done 10 days ago or 8. swapfile is fine.
    at least i have a not so old backup of systempartition.
    malwarebytes will now run. avg didtn find anything serious.
    maybe the reason for all this that i simply deleted what adwcleaber had found and didnt check that beforehand.
    Thanks. Yes i will switch to Win7 in the next weeks.....on other drive.
    update: i did a repair-installation with SP2-cd. sp3 installed afterwards and videodriver installed.
    outlook seems not working, cannot send.
    search-assistant is also gone. i dont have the drives indexed. at least not C: thats why search normally only working with the assistant.
    have some open question which avg will answer soon regarding hidden report-file. thus the search which didnt find with windows search i have now.
    Last edited by europanorama; 01-18-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    workaround to reestablish search-assistant
    http://www.wintotal.de/tipparchiv/?id=830
    No working for me.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

uphclean

I ran uphclean once. no improvement.
    http://superuser.com/questions/15029...ut-or-shutdown
    will repeat.
    forgot to mention.
    beside admin and restricted account which are older i created a new one with restrictions.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Found possible solutions-lets pray

www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Still unsolved

none of the workarounds are really working. I am waiting and waiting pc logging off.
    waiting until loggoff-menue is coming and more until executed.
    maybe this:
    http://forum.chip.de/windows-xp-aelt...ig-858656.html
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...p_service.html
    already tried....
    Last edited by europanorama; 01-18-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    If winlogon trigger in registry: PowerdownAfterShutdown set to 1(was 0) not help then there seems no workround anymore.
    only maybe removing AVG internet security. Trial not free version.... ouuch!
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

SOLVED

Unbelievable but true. My winxp-problem with account-logoff and shutdown is solved.
    i could be AVG. Had two versions of different AVG installed. internet security trial and ZEN.
    also outlokk working again.
    it lasted one day until see the problem ist gone-i was absent.
    I am now unsure if i should reinstall the right AVG free version. I am in their forum.
    since programs are listed in revo, after having internet security removed, i couldnt see Zen there anymore or had never be seen....
    and remove also didnt see but i could see the icon. now everything is gone and PC working properly.
    yes also did a rerun of the security software. AVG, Malwarebytes, adwcleaner(this time not deleting-what is deleting for?), JRT
    only didnt yet run eset onlinescanner.
    how about removing system-recovert points? all but last one.
    shouldnt i do at least before running defraggler?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    Unbelievable but true. My winxp-problem with account-logoff and shutdown is solved.
    i could be AVG. Had two versions of different AVG installed. internet security trial and ZEN.
    also outlokk working again.
    it lasted one day until see the problem ist gone-i was absent.
    I am now unsure if i should reinstall the right AVG free version. I am in their forum.
    since programs are listed in revo, after having internet security removed, i couldnt see Zen there anymore or had never be seen....
    and remove also didnt see but i could see the icon. now everything is gone and PC working properly.
    yes also did a rerun of the security software. AVG, Malwarebytes, adwcleaner(this time not deleting-what is deleting for?), JRT
    only didnt yet run eset onlinescanner.
    how about removing system-recovert points? all but last one.
    shouldnt i do at least before running defraggler?
    I am running the paid version of AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017, and I have encountered the same slowdown in logging off and shutdown on a Windows XP SP3 installation. I have a dual-boot machine with Windows 7, and the AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017 runs ok on Windows 7. AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017 is suppose to be compatible with Windows XP SP3, but there must be some problem in the software. AVG Zen does not cause the Windows XP SP3 slowdown issue on my computer (only the AVG antivirus and Internet Security portion of the software causes the problem). I believe that AVG Zen is just like a shell.

Quote Originally Posted by okiejay1 View Post
    I am running the paid version of AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017, and I have encountered the same slowdown in logging off and shutdown on a Windows XP SP3 installation. I have a dual-boot machine with Windows 7, and the AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017 runs ok on Windows 7. AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017 is suppose to be compatible with Windows XP SP3, but there must be some problem in the software. AVG Zen does not cause the Windows XP SP3 slowdown issue on my computer (only the AVG antivirus and Internet Security portion of the software causes the problem). I believe that AVG Zen is just like a shell.
    UPDATE:

I spent over an hour on Chat with AVG Customer Service, and was basically told by the rep that he did not see it as a problem that it takes 1 to 2 minutes for Windows XP SP3 to logoff and shutdown when AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017 is installed. He did not offer any solutions to try and shorten the shutdown time.

I suggest that people try some other company's antivirus software product for Windows XP SP3 environments, as AVG seems to be content with their product causing a long logoff and shutdown process.

Quote Originally Posted by okiejay1 View Post
    UPDATE:

After uninstalling AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017, I installed Avast Free Antivirus 2016 and experienced the same slowdown in logging off and shutdown on a Windows XP SP3 installation as I did with AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017. I thought this might be the case beforehand, since Avast now owns AVG.

After uninstalling Avast Free Antivirus 2016, I next installed a 30-day free trial of Kaspersky Antivirus 2016 and did NOT experience the same slowdown in logging off and shutdown on a Windows XP SP3 installation as I did with both AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2017 and Avast Free Antivirus 2016. Logging off and shutdown may have taken a few seconds longer than without any antivirus program installed. Looks like Kaspersky has the problem figured out while Avast and AVG appear to be clueless.

Ultimate Member
    PC is now running perfectly and i think its booting quicker, i can navigate quicker. winxp
    But when logging out admin-account and login restricted account pc will restart. normal shutdown and reboot.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Same problem of restarting pc instead of login on both accounts restriced and admin.
    its a winlogon-exe-problem
    maybe this can help:
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...ogonexe-error/
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Could solve by repair-installation with all updates But now i have an OEM-key on the system. Repair-installation asked for a different one. and activation is needed.
    what next? changing key?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Successful activation. No i know no key needed.... only had the "wrong" repair-cd. original one marke "defective".
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

BIG MISTAKE: i gave AVG another chance. PC blocked incl. System recovery

after succesful "cleaning" of my pc from the mentioned problems here-i never had a quicker winxp beforehand after these steps were done-i gave AVG Zen= AVG protection= AVG Antivirus Free(what the hell are three names for for the same?) another chance. That was no good idea.
    i couldnt roll back the system. any attempts to get system-recovery failed.
    Could only by a repair-installation. Where i am now. Yes found the right copy of winxp-CD SP2.
    but afterwards it seems i didnt use the right SP3. who knows. When i tried to install winfuture german full latest updatepack it failed. its not the right OS...?
    must now make a rollback and reinstall SP3 which i could find here(still online on googledrive):
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...28&usp=sharing
    found here, also SP1 and SP2 available.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...-in-iso/page-2
    i have found informations that also kaspersky caused the same problem which i had here.
    So which antivirus do i need for winxp?
    Yes, malwarebytes is also removed-temporarily. Should i get a paid version of what?
    Last edited by europanorama; 01-24-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch