Thread: Program cant read partition and NTFS.sys crash

Program cant read partition and NTFS.sys crash

I am used to use a booting CD with Win Mil in order to run the DOS based Ghost.exe program to save the whole partition on C. I did that successfully 3 months ago but yesterday, when booting, I got a message that "there is no valid Fat or FAT32 partition on C" and ghost could not recognize that partition. I ran chkdsk and an antivirus program but this didnt work. I recently got a blue screen with a message naming the file NTFS.SYS as the culprit. could that be related and how to trouble shoot it? My HD is formatted with NTFS and I use WinXP pro. What could be the cause that partitions are no longer recognized by the boot CD although I have always been using it successfully?. The disk management tool in Windows is showing healthy partitions all over.

A "DOS-based" Ghost.exe would not be able to recognize NTFS partitions . . . because DOS does not support NTFS.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    It has been YEARS, but if that error damaged the ntfs.sys
    [codee]
    To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:
    • Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
    • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
    • Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
    • Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old
      Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.
    • At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
      Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
    • Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
    • Restart the computer.
    • [/code]

https://www.google.com/#q=xp+ntfs.sy...ing+or+corrupt

When starting computer from win CD I got the screen shown in the attachment. There was no R option.Win setup.jpgWin setup.jpgWin setup.jpg

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    1. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
      Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Another option, which I had used many a time.

Reinstalling Windows XP non-destructively

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...indows-xp.html

Now that you may want to print out and definitely follow step by step.

My welcome screen is different from the one you attached!. It doesnt have the same options. It looks like this only:

Win setup.jpg

The none destructive repair is good but makes me loose some drivers which I dont prefer to do. What if I boot from DOS somehow and simply copy the ntfs.sys into the windows system32\drivers ? But the question is Which dos will recognize ntfs?

MS-DOS does not recognize NTFS. However, Avira's NTFS4DOS is a free for personal use read/write driver that might work for you. It offers read and write access from DOS to NTFS drives and thus enables a large number of DOS programs to access NTFS-formatted drives.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Personal.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    MS-DOS does not recognize NTFS. However, Avira's NTFS4DOS is a free for personal use read/write driver that might work for you. It offers read and write access from DOS to NTFS drives and thus enables a large number of DOS programs to access NTFS-formatted drives.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Personal.shtml
    Obviously this was not the problem. NTFS4DOS didnt make a difference. What did is running chkdsk command which corrected some bad sectors. AFter that ghost worked well but windows Mil CD boot still didnt recognize the partitions. Ghost 2003 can recognize NTFS partitions as it did with me for years. This is the year when WinXP was put on the market with its NTFS system. Now I still have to find a way to copy ntfs.sys into the win installation. I will try to do that with a CD run windows which doesnt need installation, and will see.....

Then your "Ghost.exe program" must not be "DOS based". MS-DOS cannot recognize NTFS. If what you meant to say was your "Ghost.exe program" was "character based", (instead of a GUI [Graphical User Interface]), then that would be a different story.

Windows XP was released to manufacturing on August 24, 2001, and for retail sale on October 25, 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    If what you meant to say was your "Ghost.exe program" was "character based", (instead of a GUI [Graphical User Interface]), then that would be a different story.
    This could be the case since it doesnt work under windows environment. it requires booting with DOS CD and then it starts its own interface after typing ghost.exe at the command prompt. Since XP was started in 2001, this is more evidence that it can read NTFS.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Norton Ghost 2003

Norton Ghost 2003, a consumer edition of Ghost, was released on September 6, 2002. Available as an independent product, Norton Ghost 2003 was also included as a component of Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional. A simpler, non-corporate version of Ghost, Norton Ghost 2003 does not include the console but has a Windows front-end to script Ghost operations and create a bootable Ghost diskette. The machine still needs to reboot to the virtual partition, but the user does not need to interact with DOS. Symantec deprecated LiveUpdate support for Norton Ghost 2003 in early 2006.

That was where I gave up on Ghost.
    Check your cd to be sure it is clean. Run it through a dvd cleaner machine.
    Make a new cd, but burn it at a slower speed.

Ghost added support for NTFS later in 1996, and also provided a program, Ghostwalker, to change the Security ID (SID) that made Windows NT systems distinguishable from each other. Ghostwalker is capable of modifying the name of the Windows NT computer from its own interface. Ghost added support for the ext2 file system in 1999 and for ext3 subsequently.

Yes, XP can read and write NTFS with no trouble. Microsoft just never went back and altered their old DOS to be able to do so.

Ultimate Member
    I sometimes was succesful by attaching boot-drive of pc1 as slave(older ATA-pcs) or second drive on second slot to pc2. I was very surprised that this worked.

I had similar problems with xp-repair-system not always working. or tricky sometimes asking PW. Pity i didnt find a workaround on the net. i have multiple solution all spread around on papers.
    If copying this file would solve then using Knoppix Live DVD(boot-DVD)is an easy way for data-access. Once can use mouse and keyboard the normal way like in filemanager. I once could save data when there was no more access in windows. is alternative for testdisk in many cases. but testdisk is not the way to go here.
    i would block chkdsk. had made things worse when i behaved the wrong way. then i had no more data-access.
    Last edited by europanorama; 02-04-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch