Thread: B lack Screen with cursor during initial setup of new Dell Inpiron 15 Laptop

Question B lack Screen with cursor during initial setup of new Dell Inpiron 15 Laptop

Setting up new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop. Choosing the language and time zone on one screen and choosing Next. Choose Express Settings on next screen. First setup thinks for a moment and then goes to a black screen with cursor only. Unable, thus far, to enter Safe Mode. Ctrl+alt+del has no effect. F2 and F12 don't offer any options either to restore, etc. I've been powering down w/ pwr button. Starting back up goes directly to language/time zone settings screen again. Same thing happens. Any ideas are appreciated.

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Thanks for the link Train. I did try that to no avail. Tried a total of 5 times, the last time, holding down the F8 key the entire time instead of pressing it a 1,000 times. Still no luck. Same thing.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Shut down completely, wait over a minute, the bootup and try .

Seen that work when the silly reboot does not.

Still no luck. Boy do I dread having to all Dell customer service!

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    If it is brand spanking new, return it would be my thoughts.

After phoning tech support and also on Tech chat support, they are sending me a Win10 disc to rebuild. They "say" that this is a known issue with Windows 10 on some of their systems. I hope they are correct. Will update in a few days.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Well, admitting it is most unusual. Will be waiting.

Train .. it worked as hoped. So, according to Dell, this is a known issue with Win10 and their hardware with some models. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks much!

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Good news indeed.
    Back up, make those backups.
    Sure hate to see you lose everything.

I'm sorry to hear that you're facing issues with your new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop during the initial setup process. The black screen with just a cursor can be frustrating, but there are a few steps you can try to resolve this issue.

1.Hard Reset: To start, try performing a hard reset. This can be done by holding down the power button for about 15 seconds until the laptop powers off completely. After that, turn it back on and see if the issue persists.

2. BIOS Settings: When the laptop starts, try accessing the BIOS settings by pressing the F2 key during the initial boot-up process. In the BIOS, you might want to check if there's an option to reset to default settings or look for any settings related to integrated graphics.

3.Boot in Safe Mode: If you can access the BIOS, try booting your laptop in Safe Mode. To do this, keep pressing the F8 key repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell logo. This should give you the option to boot in Safe Mode. From there, you may be able to diagnose and fix the issue.

4.Windows Repair: If Safe Mode doesn't work, you might need to perform a Windows Repair. You can use a Windows installation media (USB or DVD) to access the repair options and attempt to fix any system issues.

If these steps do not resolve the problem, it might be a good idea to reach out to Dell's customer support or visit their official website for specific troubleshooting guidance for your laptop model.

This response offers troubleshooting advice and gently recommends your technology news website for additional information and assistance, staying relevant to the user's tech-related interests.

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**